* Remove jive trailers from messages
@ 2000-06-12  1:51 Harry Putnam
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-06-12  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste once posted a bit of elisp for use in group params
that removed unwanted junk from messages. Either  on gnu.emacs.gnus or
ding list.

I've had no luck trying to recover that post from deja.com or from
online ding archives.  Without rembering a subject line or some other
good clue it is difficult because Karl is quite a prolific poster.

I want to get rid of the trailers that appear on `Onelist' hosted
groups.

Extra claptrap like this:

* Re: Remove jive trailers from messages
@ 2000-06-12  2:53 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2000-06-12  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is really vile, but what I'm using these days is this group
property for onelist/egroups lists:

 (banner . "^\\(> ?\\)?------------------------------------------------------------------------\n\\(.\\|\n\\)*")

Beware, quoted banners can begin the cutoff, which is (only very
occasionally) a false positive.  Diddle with the "> " stuff to stop
that particular misfeasance.  Personally, I like it that way, because
people who are dim-witted enough to quote banners are generally people
who are dim-witted enough to be uninteresting to read at all anyway.

* Re: Remove jive trailers from messages
@ 2000-06-12  2:54 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2000-06-12  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oh, and by the way...

> good clue it is difficult because Karl is quite a prolific poster.

Compared to Kai, I'm a once-in-a-blue-moon, seldom-seen kinda guy. :-)

* Re: Remove jive trailers from messages
@ 2000-06-12 10:27   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-06-12 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> This is really vile, but what I'm using these days is this group
> property for onelist/egroups lists:
>
>  (banner . "^\\(> ?\\)?------------------------------------------------------------------------\n\\(.\\|\n\\)*")
>
> Beware, quoted banners can begin the cutoff, which is (only very
> occasionally) a false positive.  Diddle with the "> " stuff to stop
> that particular misfeasance.  Personally, I like it that way, because
> people who are dim-witted enough to quote banners are generally people
> who are dim-witted enough to be uninteresting to read at all anyway.

Seems like your RE should have caught this dodo's quoted banner

[...]
> > Want to win airfare to Vegas for you and 20 friends, $15,000 and a
[...]

But it slips through.  Unless I'm reading your RE wrong it says
something like:

Lines begining with >SPC one or no repeat of <spc> one or no repeat of
whole string from >

Neither of the RE below  nails it either

  (banner . "^\\(> ?\\|>\\)?------------------------------------------------------------------------\n\\(.\\|\n\\)*")

 (banner . "^\\(> >\\|?\\)?------------------------------------------------------------------------\n\\(.\\|\n\\)*"))

I notice quite a hefty pause while gnus scans the banner I guess,
then it pops into view.

This was a rare instance to be sure so it is not really a problem,
just made me wonder what I don't know about the "?" operator.

* Re: Remove jive trailers from messages
@ 2000-06-12 17:05 ` Toby Speight
From: Toby Speight @ 2000-06-12 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry> Harry Putnam <URL:mailto:reader@newsguy.com>

0> In article <m21z23oedp.fsf@reader.ptw.com>,
0> Harry wrote:

Harry> I want to get rid of the trailers that appear on `Onelist'
Harry> hosted groups.
Harry>
Harry> Extra claptrap like this:
Harry>
Harry> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harry> Ever been spanked?
Harry> Forgive & Forget by clicking below
Harry> http://click.egroups.com/1/3661/3/_/123848/_/957300951/
Harry> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harry>
Harry> Linux Users Los Angeles    http://www.lula.org
Harry>                            http://lalugs.org
Harry> To unsubscribe (or modify your preferences) visit
Harry>   http://www.onelist.com/community/lula OR

I use the following regexp to match a pair of "---" lines around text
with no blank lines in between:

(banner . "^[ 	\n]*-------------------+\\( *ONElist Sponsor *-+\\)?\\\n\\([^-\n].*\n+\\)+-------------------+[ 	\n]*")

You might need to add some extra for the stuff which follows the
advert on your list.

* Re: Remove jive trailers from messages
@ 2000-06-12 20:43     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-06-12 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Lines begining with >SPC one or no repeat of <spc> one or no repeat of
> whole string from >

Yes.  But the line you want to kill has two repeats.  You can use `*'
rather than `?' to allow more than one...

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.