* more quoted text than new !!!(was: [rec.woodworking] Re: Building a Rigid Shelf)
@ 1996-04-24 12:05 Albrecht Kadlec
From: Albrecht Kadlec @ 1996-04-24 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

well look at the ways people get around their newsreaders mournings:
(look right at the end to save reading everything)

From: Harry Collette <harry@autodesk.com>
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Re: Building a Rigid Shelf
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 12:19:17 -0700

> Any great ideas to make a rigid shelf for an entertainment center/ TV unit?  I
> need to support ~ 80# on a shelf about 45" long and 22" deep.  I was recently
> reminded that even two 1" pieces of plywood laminated together will bow/warp
> given this much weight.  This shelf will be mounted in an antique-looking pine
> armoire.  I had planned to "veneer" a plywood core with older wood, but the
> shelf can only be supported on the back and two ends.
>
> Is there any rigid material (composite, aluminum, plastic) that could easily
> be faced with real wood and wouldn't cost a bundle?  I'd like to keep the
> total thickness of the shelf under ~2" if possible.  A TV will be located
> below, so I really can't support with a vertical partition from below and I
> don't want the visual effect of metal shelf brackets.  I may be able to add a
> vertical partition to "hold" the shelf from above, but only as a last resort.

How about this:  get some square steel tubing (or even steel channel) from
your local hardware, say 3/4".  Get 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood.  Cut
matching dadoes 3/8" deep in each piece of plywood.  Insert the steel
tubing, and glue the plywood together.  If you use 3 or 4 pieces of
steel, and make sure that the steel extends over the supports at the
end of the shelf, you should have adequate support.

Depending on the steel available, you might even be able to user 5/8" plywood
to keep the thickness down.

// filler so my stupid newsreader won't complain that there's more quoted
// material than new.
// filler so my stupid newsreader won't complain that there's more quoted
// material than new.
// filler so my stupid newsreader won't complain that there's more quoted
// material than new.
// filler so my stupid newsreader won't complain that there's more quoted
// material than new.

* Re: more quoted text than new !!!(was: [rec.woodworking] Re: Building a Rigid Shelf)
@ 1996-04-24 14:24 ` Mark Boyns
From: Mark Boyns @ 1996-04-24 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Albrecht Kadlec <albrecht@java.vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> well look at the ways people get around their newsreaders mournings:
> (look right at the end to save reading everything)
[snip]
> // filler so my stupid newsreader won't complain that there's more quoted
> // material than new.

And it's not even a newsreader issue.  Here's an excerpt from the config.dist
that comes with inn1.4unnof4:

##  Require posts to have under 50% inclusion (">") lines?  Pick DO OR DONT.
##  (This is only for inews and nnrpd.)
#### =()<CHECK_INCLUDED_TEXT            @<CHECK_INCLUDED_TEXT>@>()=
CHECK_INCLUDED_TEXT             DO

--
Mark Boyns <boyns@sdsu.edu> <URL:http://www.sdsu.edu/~boyns/>
PGP fingerprint = D3 28 A2 F7 D1 4C F8 EE  BF 7A 11 54 1C E5 6E CC

* Re: more quoted text than new !!!(was: [rec.woodworking] Re: Building a Rigid Shelf)
@ 1996-04-24 15:18 ` Henrik Buch Mortensen
From: Henrik Buch Mortensen @ 1996-04-24 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24 Apr 1996 14:05:09 +0200, Albrecht Kadlec <albrecht@java.vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at> said:

> well look at the ways people get around their newsreaders

NNTP/NNRP server, more likely

> mournings:

... particularly when using a well-known newsreader with configurable
quotation-prefix would do the trick (along with lots'o'tricks they
probably never thought were possible :-).

Speaking of which -- and I believe this has been around before, but I
don't remember a solution comming up -- why is it that mail-citation-
hook is being ignored?  No real functionality lost, but mail-
citation-hook was as close to a standard as one gets these days.

/hbm

--
Henrik Buch Mortensen, Electromagnetics Institute, Technical U. of Denmark
####### "What is a light year?" ##########################################

* Re: more quoted text than new !!!(was: [rec.woodworking] Re: Building a Rigid Shelf)
@ 1996-05-02  0:18   ` Sten Drescher
From: Sten Drescher @ 1996-05-02  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Buch Mortensen <hbm@emi.dtu.dk> writes:

> Speaking of which -- and I believe this has been around before, but I
> don't remember a solution comming up -- why is it that mail-citation-
> hook is being ignored?  No real functionality lost, but mail-
> citation-hook was as close to a standard as one gets these days.

	How so?  I certainly haven't seen supercite working since I
upgraded.  I call that functionality lost.

	I really miss gnus-mail-self-blind too.  With that, I could
send mail to mailing lists that redistribute it to all subscribers,
and have procmail file my message in the appropriate folder when I
sent it, and ignore the duplicate on the way in.  Now, it's never
going to see the outgoing message, and it'll file the incoming copy.

--
+----------------------  Tivoli Customer Support  ----------------------+
|   Sten Drescher                     Tivoli Systems, Inc               |

* Re: more quoted text than new !!!(was: [rec.woodworking] Re: Building a Rigid Shelf)
@ 1996-05-02  1:11     ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-05-02  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

SD> 	How so?  I certainly haven't seen supercite working since I
SD> upgraded.  I call that functionality lost.

(setq message-cite-function 'sc-cite-original)

SD> 	I really miss gnus-mail-self-blind too.

(setq message-default-headers "BCC: abraham\n")

Both has been discussed on this list previously.

* Re: more quoted text than new !!!(was: [rec.woodworking] Re: Building a Rigid Shelf)
@ 1996-05-02  2:52       ` Sten Drescher
From: Sten Drescher @ 1996-05-02  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

SD> How so?  I certainly haven't seen supercite working since I
SD> upgraded.  I call that functionality lost.

PA> (setq message-cite-function 'sc-cite-original)

SD> I really miss gnus-mail-self-blind too.

PA> (setq message-default-headers "BCC: abraham\n")

PA> Both has been discussed on this list previously.

	And documented where?  I thought message-cite-function might
be the answer, but it isn't in the Gnus Info index.  In fact, nothing
message-* is in the index.

--
#include <disclaimer.h>                               /* Sten Drescher */
ObCDABait:      For she doted upon their paramours, whose flesh is as the

* Re: more quoted text than new !!!(was: [rec.woodworking] Re: Building a Rigid Shelf)
@ 1996-05-02  2:54         ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-05-02  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

PA> Both has been discussed on this list previously.

SD> 	And documented where?

On this list, as I wrote above.  The announcement said that the
documentation hadn't been updated w.r.t. the new `message.el'.  This
will be fixed before the beta release, but don't expect any of the
alpha releases to be in sync with the documentation.

* Re: more quoted text than new !!!(was: [rec.woodworking] Re: Building a Rigid Shelf)
@ 1996-05-02  2:56         ` Sten Drescher
From: Sten Drescher @ 1996-05-02  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: abraham, ding

SD> How so?  I certainly haven't seen supercite working since I
SD> upgraded.  I call that functionality lost.

PA> (setq message-cite-function 'sc-cite-original)

SD> I really miss gnus-mail-self-blind too.

PA> (setq message-default-headers "BCC: abraham\n")

PA> Both has been discussed on this list previously.

SD> 	And documented where?  I thought message-cite-function might
SD> be the answer, but it isn't in the Gnus Info index.  In fact,
SD> nothing message-* is in the index.

	AAAAAAAAARGH!  It looks like my recompilation of emacs isn't
looking in the right places for info files.  AAAAAAAARGH!