* *.SCORE files being reformatted by gnus?
@ 1999-03-23  4:04 Dmitry Yaitskov
From: Dmitry Yaitskov @ 1999-03-23  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I noticed that my *.SCORE files are being reformatted by gnus, thus
not only chaning the indentation, but removing comments etc. Is this a
bug or a feature? If latter, can it be turned off? Thanks.

--
Cheers,
-Dima.

* Re: *.SCORE files being reformatted by gnus?
@ 1999-03-23 17:55 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 1999-03-23 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Ding

Dmitry Yaitskov <dimas@home.com> writes:

> I noticed that my *.SCORE files are being reformatted by gnus, thus
> not only chaning the indentation, but removing comments etc. Is this a
> bug or a feature?

I think it's a feature.  Otherwise, expiring score entries and the
interactive scoring commands wouldn't work (or would be very, very hard
to implement in a satisfactory manner).

> If latter, can it be turned off? Thanks.

You can put the stuff that requires extensive comments (for example,
tricky regexps) into a separate file, put `(read-only t)' into it,
and include this file from the regular score file using `(file "blah")'.

But as a result, Gnus sometimes selects the wrong default score file
for the interactive scoring files (i.e., one of the read-only files).
You can correct that with

(setq  gnus-home-score-file 'gnus-score-file-name)

in your ~/.gnus file.

* Re: *.SCORE files being reformatted by gnus?
@ 1999-03-23 19:03   ` Dmitry Yaitskov
From: Dmitry Yaitskov @ 1999-03-23 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Florian Weimer <fw@cygnus.stuttgart.netsurf.de> wrote:

> Dmitry Yaitskov <dimas@home.com> writes:
>
> > I noticed that my *.SCORE files are being reformatted by gnus, thus
> > not only chaning the indentation, but removing comments etc. Is this a
> > bug or a feature?
>
> I think it's a feature.  Otherwise, expiring score entries and the
> interactive scoring commands wouldn't work (or would be very, very hard
> to implement in a satisfactory manner).

I see. Haven't thought of it. Thanks.

--

@ 1999-03-23 20:55   ` Hallvard B Furuseth
From: Hallvard B Furuseth @ 1999-03-23 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Florian Weimer writes:
> You can put the stuff that requires extensive comments (for example,
> tricky regexps) into a separate file, put `(read-only t)' into it,
> and include this file from the regular score file using `(file "blah")'.

You can probably write it as (comment "....") at the outermost level in
the score alist, since Gnus appears to ignore unrecognized score
entries.  I just put
((comment "foobar")
 ("subject"
  ("\\<Maxtemp\\>" -1000 nil r)
  ...more scores...)
in a *.SCORE file and used the I command to modify it, and the comment
stayed put.  Though I wouldn't try to put a comment inside a list of
scores, e.g. between "subject" and ("\\<Maxtemp\\>" ...).

--
Hallvard

* Re: *.SCORE files being reformatted by gnus?
@ 1999-03-23 21:31     ` Dmitry Yaitskov
From: Dmitry Yaitskov @ 1999-03-23 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> wrote:

> Florian Weimer writes:
> > You can put the stuff that requires extensive comments (for example,
> > tricky regexps) into a separate file, put `(read-only t)' into it,
> > and include this file from the regular score file using `(file "blah")'.
>
> You can probably write it as (comment "....") at the outermost level in
> the score alist, since Gnus appears to ignore unrecognized score
> entries.

Thank you, that's certainly a good idea. Will try it.

--
Cheers,
-Dima.