* Adding Babyl Group
@ 2000-03-28 13:45 Peter Weiss - Sun Germany ENS Engineer Mission Critical - Munich
From: Peter Weiss - Sun Germany ENS Engineer Mission Critical - Munich @ 2000-03-28 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

    I still can't figure out what's behind gnus:

    Every Time I send a mail a "FCC:"-Header writes a copy in a rmail file,
    which I can read using "rmail-input". I'd like to do this with gnus.

    Neither method, entering it as a foreign group (nnbabyl method, right?)
    nor creating a new server method in the server buffer works. How do I
    supply the filename of the rmail-file?

      Thx -- Peter

--
Peter Weiss

CLASS Firmengruppe           phone  +49 (0)8151 / 991 - 512
Moosstrasse 7                fax    +49 (0)8151 / 991 - 229
D-82319 Starnberg            mobil  0172/ 83 79 125
http://www.class.de          mailto:Peter.Weiss@Class.de

* Re: Adding Babyl Group
@ 2000-03-28 15:42 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-03-28 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Peter Weiss - Sun Germany ENS Engineer Mission Critical - Munich <Peter.Weiss@germany.sun.com> writes:

>     Every Time I send a mail a "FCC:"-Header writes a copy in a rmail file,
>     which I can read using "rmail-input". I'd like to do this with gnus.
>
>     Neither method, entering it as a foreign group (nnbabyl method, right?)
>     nor creating a new server method in the server buffer works. How do I
>     supply the filename of the rmail-file?

Don't tell Gnus to read from a file written to with Fcc.  Also, note
that Rmail normally deals with babyl format, but Fcc writes mbox
format.  Thus, some files start off in babyl format but may contain
some messages at the end which are in mbox format.  The rmail-input
functions knows how to deal with that, but other programs might not
(such as b2m).

I suggest that you use the Gcc header rather than the Fcc header.
Using the Gcc header you can supply a group name and Gnus will write
the message into that group.

You can set gnus-outgoing-message-group or gnus-message-archive-method
and gnus-message-archive-group to tell Gnus to automatically insert a
Gcc header, but you can also do this with message-default-headers.

I don't know why both gnus-outgoing-message-group and
gnus-message-archive-group exist -- they seem to provide the same
functionality and neither will go away, even though Lars says he
prefers gnus-message-archive-group.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: Adding Babyl Group
@ 2000-03-28 19:29 ` Jim Davidson
From: Jim Davidson @ 2000-03-28 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Weiss - Sun Germany ENS Engineer Mission Critical - Munich <Peter.Weiss@germany.sun.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
>     I still can't figure out what's behind gnus:
>
>     Every Time I send a mail a "FCC:"-Header writes a copy in a rmail file,
>     which I can read using "rmail-input". I'd like to do this with gnus.
>
>     Neither method, entering it as a foreign group (nnbabyl method, right?)
>     nor creating a new server method in the server buffer works. How do I
>     supply the filename of the rmail-file?

It works for me.

Some of my settings:

     message-default-mail-headers 	"FCC: ~/mail/outgo.msg"

     message-fcc-handler-function 	'gnus-output-to-rmail

     gnus-secondary-select-methods
  	  '((nnbabyl "outgo.msg"
  		     (nnbabyl-mbox-file "~/mail/outgo.msg")
  		     (nnbabyl-get-new-mail nil)))

This writes a file that can be read either with RMAIL or with Gnus.

--
Jim Davidson
jdavidso @ csi.com

* Re: Adding Babyl Group
@ 2000-03-31 14:13   ` Peter Weiss - Sun Germany ENS Engineer Mission Critical - Munich
From: Peter Weiss - Sun Germany ENS Engineer Mission Critical - Munich @ 2000-03-31 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jim Davidson <jdavidso@nospam.com> writes:

> Peter Weiss - Sun Germany ENS Engineer Mission Critical - Munich <Peter.Weiss@germany.sun.com> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> >     I still can't figure out what's behind gnus:
> >
> >     Every Time I send a mail a "FCC:"-Header writes a copy in a rmail file,
> >     which I can read using "rmail-input". I'd like to do this with gnus.
> >
> >     Neither method, entering it as a foreign group (nnbabyl method, right?)
> >     nor creating a new server method in the server buffer works. How do I
> >     supply the filename of the rmail-file?
>
> It works for me.
>
> Some of my settings:
>
>      message-default-mail-headers 	"FCC: ~/mail/outgo.msg"
>
>      message-fcc-handler-function 	'gnus-output-to-rmail
>
>      gnus-secondary-select-methods
>   	  '((nnbabyl "outgo.msg"
>   		     (nnbabyl-mbox-file "~/mail/outgo.msg")
>   		     (nnbabyl-get-new-mail nil)))
>
> This writes a file that can be read either with RMAIL or with Gnus.

Hello,

    thanks so far, but sorry that doesn't work.

    Meanwhile I've recogniced gnus stores the FCC messages in mbox format
    (nnbabyl seemed to be true for my old situation where an existing file
    for the FCC header allready exited, which was in nnbabyl format).

    So I switched from babyl to mbox, but all I receive are these

       Can't select group

    message. The more general question I'm asking is how do I open an
    existing file of what format ever within gnus without hacking
    gnus-secondary-select-methods?

    That's not very user-friendly. I guess I still haven't understand the
    gnus-way...

        Peter

--

@ 2000-03-31 16:46     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-03-31 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jim Davidson, ding

Peter Weiss - Sun Germany ENS Engineer Mission Critical - Munich <Peter.Weiss@germany.sun.com> writes:

>     That's not very user-friendly. I guess I still haven't understand the
>     gnus-way...

I have tried to help with my last message (of 2000-03-28).  Feel free
to ask if that message wasn't helpful.

kai
--

@ 2000-03-31 19:52     ` Jim Davidson
From: Jim Davidson @ 2000-03-31 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Weiss - Sun Germany ENS Engineer Mission Critical - Munich <Peter.Weiss@germany.sun.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
>     thanks so far, but sorry that doesn't work.
>
>     Meanwhile I've recogniced gnus stores the FCC messages in mbox format
>     (nnbabyl seemed to be true for my old situation where an existing file
>     for the FCC header allready exited, which was in nnbabyl format).

No.  Read my earlier message.

If you include the following setting in your .emacs:

        (setq message-fcc-handler-function 	'gnus-output-to-rmail)

Gnus will write the file in babyl format, not mbox.  You can then
read it with rmail-input.

>     message. The more general question I'm asking is how do I open an
>     existing file of what format ever within gnus without hacking
>     gnus-secondary-select-methods?

If you want to *read* the babyl file with Gnus, you need to set either
gnus-select-method, or gnus-secondary-select-methods.

If you only want to *write* it, the setting that I gave above will
solve the problem.

--
Jim Davidson
jdavidso @ csi.com