* Running nnml-generate-nov-databases-1 from batch mode with NT
@ 2000-03-23 14:05 Rene Matteau
From: Rene Matteau @ 2000-03-23 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emacs 20.5

I am running Gnus 5.8.2 with Emacs 20.5 on Windows NT and I am using
the agent extensively. Due to connection drops, the .overview and the
content of the agent directories are now out of sync; many downloaded
postings have a size of 0. I already have a program the check for
these and re-create the .agentview file. After it is re-created, I
want to re-generate the .overview file and I would like to do this
from the command line (NT CMD shell). I have the following so far (on
one line):

C:\>C:\emacs.20.5\bin\emacs.bat -batch -l ~/.emacs -eval
'\(nnml-generate-nov-databases-1
C:/matteau/news/agent/nntp/msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft/public/moneycentral\)'

The command complete with no errors or warnings but the .overview is
not re-regenerated. The same command from within Emacs work OK (the
name of the directory is prompted) Any ideas?

--
Rene

* Re: Running nnml-generate-nov-databases-1 from batch mode with NT
@ 2000-03-23 16:34 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-03-23 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Rene Matteau <matteau@ca.ibm.com> writes:

> C:\>C:\emacs.20.5\bin\emacs.bat -batch -l ~/.emacs -eval
> '\(nnml-generate-nov-databases-1
> C:/matteau/news/agent/nntp/msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft/public/moneycentral\)'

I think you want quotes around the directory name.  The Lisp code to
eval looks like this:

(nnml-generate-nov-databases-1 "..dir.name.goes.here..")

I don't know how you get the spaces and double quotes in there with
the NT shell.  But surely you know...

If all else fails, write the above into a file and do "emacs -l file.el".

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: Running nnml-generate-nov-databases-1 from batch mode with NT
@ 2000-03-26  8:28   ` Rene Matteau
From: Rene Matteau @ 2000-03-26  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Rene Matteau <matteau@ca.ibm.com> writes:
>
> > C:\>C:\emacs.20.5\bin\emacs.bat -batch -l ~/.emacs -eval
> > '\(nnml-generate-nov-databases-1
> > C:/matteau/news/agent/nntp/msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft/public/moneycentral\)'
>
> I think you want quotes around the directory name.  The Lisp code to
> eval looks like this:
>
> (nnml-generate-nov-databases-1 "..dir.name.goes.here..")
>
> I don't know how you get the spaces and double quotes in there with
> the NT shell.  But surely you know...
>
> If all else fails, write the above into a file and do "emacs -l file.el".

Thanks Kai. Unfortunately, with this particular directory, I always
get the message:

Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

I have issued the command from the scratch buffer with eval-last-sexp
and with putting the command in the file.el and using the syntax that
you suggested. The command I used is:

(nnml-generate-nov-databases-1 "C:/matteau/news/agent/nntp/msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft/public/moneycentral")

On the other hand, I wrote a Perl program that generates the .overview
file and the .agentview so I am OK for now. Thanks again...

--
Rene