From: Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Agent & disconnected IMAP: move messages between folders?
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 00:42:13 +0100	[thread overview]

> Greetings, a few years ago I looked at Gnus as a mail client.  I
> didn't adopt it for one main reason: though it supports disconnected
> IMAP (I spend a lot of time on my computer out of Internet range), it
> doesn't allow me to move messages between IMAP folders during
> disconnected operation.

That's still the case I think.

At least it was the last time I tried (which admittedly was a while
back).

I think you would have to do quite a few changes to the Agent
architecture to support it.

The way it is now, is that if you have an article cached in the agent,
and then move the original article to a new folder, the moved article
won't be cached until you download it in the new folder (or read it, if
you have added gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article to
gnus-select-article-hook).

On a side note: another thing that's missing from the agentized imap
support, is partial download of messages (ie. download the text and
leave the attachments on the server, until you actually want to read
them).

This isn't as critical as it was ten years ago, but it's still is a
capability of the IMAP protocol that isn't utilized by nnimap.