* Expire message meaning? Hangs quite a long time
@ 2004-03-23 15:39 Chris Shenton
From: Chris Shenton @ 2004-03-23 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

After finishing reading a group and upon going to the next, I
sometimes see a message like the following in the mode line:

  Expiry recovered 23 NOV entries, deleted 0 files, and freed 5.457031 KB.

What's this mean, specifically the 5.457031 KB.  If that's truly a
fractional amount, I want to know what 0.031 bytes looks like, it's
about a quarter of a single bit.  If the dot is being used to separate
thousands or millions, European style rather than US style, then it's
claiming to have freed over 5GB.  I'm confused.

What's really bothering me is that upon displaying this msg, Gnus
freezes up for something like 30-60 seconds; I can't do anything.
Is it really working, or is this some delay to allow puny humans to
read a transient message?

I'm running No Gnus v0.2 from CVS about a week ago, and have seen this
for maybe a month or two with various CVS versions.

Thanks.

* Re: Expire message meaning? Hangs quite a long time
@ 2004-03-24  1:05 ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2004-03-24  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org> writes:

> After finishing reading a group and upon going to the next, I
> sometimes see a message like the following in the mode line:
>
>   Expiry recovered 23 NOV entries, deleted 0 files, and freed 5.457031 KB.
>
> What's this mean, specifically the 5.457031 KB.  If that's truly a
> fractional amount, I want to know what 0.031 bytes looks like, it's
> about a quarter of a single bit.

1KB = 1024 bytes

5.457031[25] * 1024 = 5588

The [25] digits aren't shown in the message due to the format.

>  If the dot is being used to separate
> thousands or millions, European style rather than US style, then it's
> claiming to have freed over 5GB.  I'm confused.
>
> What's really bothering me is that upon displaying this msg, Gnus
> freezes up for something like 30-60 seconds; I can't do anything.
> Is it really working, or is this some delay to allow puny humans to
> read a transient message?

That's interesting.  If gnus was freezing up due to agent expiration,
the 30-60 delay should occur before the message appears.

You could try this.

M-x toggle-debug-on-quit

When emacs next freezes, type cntl-g to enter the debugger.  Copy the
contents of the debugger buffer to a scratch buffer then type 'c' to
continue execution.

Once gnus recovers, post the debug information.

> I'm running No Gnus v0.2 from CVS about a week ago, and have seen this
> for maybe a month or two with various CVS versions.

Kevin

* Re: Expire message meaning? Hangs quite a long time
@ 2004-03-29 14:44   ` Chris Shenton
From: Chris Shenton @ 2004-03-29 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

Chris> After finishing reading a group and upon going to the next, I
Chris> sometimes see a message like the following in the mode line:
Chris>
Chris> Expiry recovered 23 NOV entries, deleted 0 files, and freed 5.457031 KB.

Chris> Gnus freezes up for something like 30-60 seconds; I can't do anything.

> You could try this.
>
> M-x toggle-debug-on-quit
>
> When emacs next freezes, type cntl-g to enter the debugger.
> Once gnus recovers, post the debug information.

Thanks for the suggestion. Here's the debug output when I ^G during
the hang -- which was about 90 seconds:

  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
    gnus-summary-expire-articles()
    run-hooks(gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook)
    apply(run-hooks gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook)
    gnus-run-hooks(gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook)
    gnus-summary-exit(t)
    gnus-summary-next-group(nil "nnimap+pectopah:INBOX.in.cron" nil)
    gnus-summary-walk-group-buffer("nnimap+pectopah:INBOX" 110 t nil 187)
    gnus-summary-next-article(t nil)
    gnus-summary-next-unread-article()
    call-interactively(gnus-summary-next-unread-article)

Any ideas? Thanks.