From: Michael Welsh Duggan <md5i@cs.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: *POP* goes the mail..
Date: 14 Aug 1997 10:55:37 -0400	[thread overview]

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> > UUh our sysadms want us to go over to pop.. whats the status for
> > pop-support in gnus.. I just want to collect them to my nnml-backend.
>
> I've had varying success with using movemail compiled with POP.  It
> doesn't work on Xemacs 19.15, it normally works on GNU emacs 19.34, on
> Solaris 2.5 machine (didn't work on Ultrix 4.4), but not on all
> Solaris machines, and not against all servers, and since I hacked
> myself away from using POP, I haven't gotten 'round to investigating.

I have also had varying success with movemail.  A lot depends on
whether the correct movemail (emacs's or netscape's) is used, and
whether that movemail was compiled with pop support.  I found that
using pop3.el worked more consistantly, and gave feedback as to what
was happening.

(setq nnmail-movemail-program 'nnmail-pop3-movemail)
(setq pop3-mailhost "nl.cs.cmu.edu")
(setq nnmail-spool-file '("po:md5i"))
(setq pop3-password-required t)
(setq pop3-password "xxxxxxxx")

--
Michael Duggan               Support the anti-Spam amendment
(md5i@cs.cmu.edu)            Join at <URL:http://www.cauce.org/>