Simon Josefsson writes: > Andreas Jaeger writes: > >>> QP encoding is to avoid the article to be mangled. Though a message >>> contains only ASCII, lines starting with "From " or so be mangled. >> >> I see - but that's rather unfortunate. Is there no way to avoid this? >> I'd rather don't use QP. > > Then you'd be breaking the PGP/MIME specification, and the receiver > probably couldn't validate your message. > > 3. Content-Transfer-Encoding restrictions > > Multipart/signed and multipart/encrypted are to be treated by agents > as opaque, meaning that the data is not to be altered in any way [1]. > However, many existing mail gateways will detect if the next hop does > not support MIME or 8-bit data and perform conversion to either > Quoted-Printable or Base64. This presents serious problems for > multipart/signed, in particular, where the signature is invalidated > when such an operation occurs. For this reason all data signed > according to this protocol MUST be constrained to 7 bits (8- bit data > should be encoded using either Quoted-Printable or Base64). But this means that I still can use ASCII for 7bits and do not need to use QP for 7-bit only data. Have a look at this email - it's signed, contains AFAIK no 8-bit data and is still QP. That's the problem I see. Thanks for the explanation I now accept that I have to live with QP as soon as my emails contain 8-bit data. Andreas -- Andreas Jaeger SuSE Labs aj@suse.de private aj@arthur.inka.de http://www.suse.de/~aj