* Moving mails
@ 2003-09-17 23:14 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-09-17 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am just planning right now to move all my mails from one location to
another as I will have a new laptop in less than a week.

I also want to do some clean up on my current mail directories and so I
want to separate mails from news.

Problem is I can't remember (if I ever knew ;)) what is the best
practice to achieve such a task.

In fact all I want to do is a simple 'cp' of my ~/Mail and from there,
separate news from mails. So the final setup will look like :
 ~/.email
 ~/.news

I know which variable(s) I must change but I fear that at next startup of
Gnus, all I will have is a not-workable setup (meaning gnus going
crazy).

So except the cp stuff, what do I need to do ? Regenerate my newsrc file
?

It is quite urgent so in case someone has an idea ...

Thanx,

zeDek
--
"mal ne ganz dumme frage: wo zum geier ist das config-file zu der SVGAlib
 ?? ich finds net :(" (Adam Kopacz in d.c.o.l.m)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Moving mails
@ 2003-09-19 19:13 ` David S Goldberg
From: David S Goldberg @ 2003-09-19 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I also want to do some clean up on my current mail directories and so I
> want to separate mails from news.

I have a .Mail and a .News.  Under the former is nnml directories.
Under the latter is score/adapt files and the agent directories.  Do
you keep all that in the same place now?

> In fact all I want to do is a simple 'cp' of my ~/Mail and from there,
> separate news from mails. So the final setup will look like :
>  ~/.email
>  ~/.news

> I know which variable(s) I must change but I fear that at next startup of
> Gnus, all I will have is a not-workable setup (meaning gnus going
> crazy).

I would first do a straight copy and leave everything in ~/Mail.  Run
gnus, make sure all is well.  copy, don't move, the groups/files etc
from ~/.Mail that you want into ~/.email.  Backup your .newsrc* and
.emacs and .gnus files and edit to reflect the change.  Run gnus and
make sure all is well.  then do the same for .news.  If all is well,
rename ~/Mail to something else.  If all is well after than, remove
~/Mail and you're all set.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net