From: David S Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: How does one pgp/mime encrypt to different recipients?
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 11:22:36 -0400	[thread overview]

> What would I need to do to setup a minimal s/mime config so I could
> test this myself?

> If I have a testing environment, I can probably fix this problem.

I wish I could provide more detail but I just use smime with the PKI
at work.  Some of my colleagues in the security business have set up
full blown PKI test environments with openssl and claim it isn't much
work but I don't know how they do it myself.

If it helps at all, my smime-related settings for gnus are:

	(setq
         smime-certificate-directory (expand-file-name "~/private/certs/")
         smime-CA-directory (expand-file-name "~/private/CAs")
         smime-keys (list (list "dsg@mitre.org"
                                 (concat smime-certificate-directory
                                         "dsg-20020208-20030802.pem"))
                          (list "old-dsg@mitre.org"
                                 (concat smime-certificate-directory
                                         "dsg-20000817-20020208.pem"))
                          (list "oldest-dsg@mitre.org"
                                 (concat smime-certificate-directory
                                         "dsg-19990224-20000817.pem"))))

That last one simply allows me to decrypt old messages by selecting
the key that was current at the time the message was sent.  The
smime-CA-directory contains a .pem file of our root key, which is used
to sign all staff keys.  I keep copies of the staff keys (pem format)
in smime-certificate-directory.  The openssl c_rehash command is
necessary in the CA directory.  I gathered from smime.el that it
should be run in the certificate directory as well, but I'm not sure
the hashes are actually used since I'm asked to provide the PEM file
explicitly.

Thanks,

--
Dave Goldberg