From: David S Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: server disconnect leads to "article not found"
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:30:25 -0400	[thread overview]

I've seen this with other nntp servers (verizon and newsguy).  What
happens to me is a little different, I think, but may be related to
the same issue.

1: I start reading news
2: One of the kids or my wife needs attention
3: In the interim the connection to the nntp server times out
4: I come back and try to read the next article ; it is bogusly marked
   deleted
5: I try to go to the next next article, gnus realizes the connection
   is gone, reestablishes it and properly finds that article.
6: I unmark the previously bogusly marked article and successfully
   read it.  I should note that it is necessary to read a different
   article before unmarking and reading it, presumably because there's
   a bogus article buffer associated with it, but I haven't done
   enough troubleshooting to be sure

My workaround is to recognize the likely hood of a server time out and
M-: (gnus-close-server "newsguy") RET M-: (gnus-open-server "newsguy") RET

Before trying to read anything when I get back to gnus.  I've been
seeing this for a long time now, much longer than Oort 0.7, probably
even before Oort but I'm less certain of that.  I've not been using
Gnus at home for nearly as long as at work and don't recall what was
current when I set up at home.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net