* automatic smime signing/verifying ?
@ 2002-10-24 14:05 Nicolas Kowalski
From: Nicolas Kowalski @ 2002-10-24 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

I am currently using the smime library for signing/verifying emails.
When writing mail, I use C-c C-m s s (mml-secure-message-sign-smime),
and when reading, I hit 'W S' to verify smime signatures.

This works well, but I would like to automate this. For example, if I
read articles in the group `mail.work', I would like Gnus to
automatically check smime signatures, and if I post from this group,
make the message buffer contain by default my smime signature.

Is this possible ?

Thanks.
--
Nicolas

* Re: automatic smime signing/verifying ?
@ 2002-10-24 14:22 ` David S Goldberg
From: David S Goldberg @ 2002-10-24 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This works well, but I would like to automate this. For example, if I
> read articles in the group `mail.work', I would like Gnus to
> automatically check smime signatures, and if I post from this group,
> make the message buffer contain by default my smime signature.

> Is this possible ?

Not sure about automatically adding the mml for signing (probably can
be done with message-setup-hook or something, though) but for
automatic detection and verification of signatures I use:

(setq mm-verify-option 'always)
      mm-decrypt-option 'always)

It's up to you whether you only want the former, though.
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: automatic smime signing/verifying ?
@ 2002-10-24 14:54   ` Nicolas Kowalski
From: Nicolas Kowalski @ 2002-10-24 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

David S Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:

> Not sure about automatically adding the mml for signing (probably can
> be done with message-setup-hook or something, though) but for
> automatic detection and verification of signatures I use:
>
> (setq mm-verify-option 'always)
>       mm-decrypt-option 'always)

This does not work for me. I still have to hit 'W S' to make Gnus
verify smime signatures.

--

@ 2002-10-24 15:28     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-10-24 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Nicolas Kowalski <Nicolas.Kowalski@imag.fr> writes:

> David S Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:
>
>> Not sure about automatically adding the mml for signing (probably can
>> be done with message-setup-hook or something, though) but for
>> automatic detection and verification of signatures I use:
>>
>> (setq mm-verify-option 'always)
>>       mm-decrypt-option 'always)
>
> This does not work for me. I still have to hit 'W S' to make Gnus
> verify smime signatures.

How do you set the variables?  If the variables ever become buffer
local in the article (or summary buffer, I don't remember), it doesn't
work.  It becomes buffer local if it is set via e.g. Gnus Parameters.
It would be nice if this was fixed..

* Re: automatic smime signing/verifying ?
@ 2002-10-24 15:31     ` Nicolas Kowalski
From: Nicolas Kowalski @ 2002-10-24 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nicolas Kowalski <Nicolas.Kowalski@imag.fr> writes:

> David S Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:
>
>> Not sure about automatically adding the mml for signing (probably can
>> be done with message-setup-hook or something, though) but for
>> automatic detection and verification of signatures I use:
>>
>> (setq mm-verify-option 'always)
>>       mm-decrypt-option 'always)
>
> This does not work for me. I still have to hit 'W S' to make Gnus
> verify smime signatures.

Silly me. It works : the mime buttons did not show up, that's all...
Sorry for wasting your time :-(.

My configuration for the initial request is the following, and seems
to work well, but the gnus-buttonized-mime-types setup looks bad,
isn't it ?

;;
;; smime verify/sign messages
;;

;; view smime parts by default
(setq gnus-buttonized-mime-types nil)
(add-to-list 'gnus-buttonized-mime-types "multipart/signed")
(add-to-list 'gnus-buttonized-mime-types "multipart/encrypted")

;; regexp of groups from which new messages are smime signed by default
(setq my-sign-smime-group-regexp "^\\(INBOX.\\|\\)mail.work")

;; hook to setup message
(defun my-mml-secure-message-sign-smime ()
  (when (string-match
	 my-sign-smime-group-regexp
	 gnus-newsgroup-name)
    (mml-secure-message-sign-smime)))

;; plug this into message-setup-hook
(add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'my-mml-secure-message-sign-smime)

--

@ 2002-10-24 15:41       ` David S Goldberg
From: David S Goldberg @ 2002-10-24 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Silly me. It works : the mime buttons did not show up, that's all...

This is how I solved that one:

(setq gnus-buttonized-mime-types '("multipart/signed"
				   "application/x-pkcs7-mime"
				   "multipart/alternative"))

That last one is not relevant to this discussion, of course.
--

@ 2002-10-27  1:26 ` Clemens Fischer
From: Clemens Fischer @ 2002-10-27  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nicolas Kowalski <Nicolas.Kowalski@imag.fr>:

> I am currently using the smime library for signing/verifying emails.
> When writing mail, I use C-c C-m s s (mml-secure-message-sign-smime),
> and when reading, I hit 'W S' to verify smime signatures.

where do you keep the certificates for this method?  smime uses an
openssl command, is this correct?

clemens