From: David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com>
Subject: Gnus (smtpmail/nnimap) on NT without Cygwin?
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 05:15:16 -0400	[thread overview]

Does anyone know what I need to install to get smtpmail and nnimap to
work without Cygwin?

The work I'm doing for a client required me to install their special
version of Cygwin, which I foolishly did alongside my existing one.
Thereafter, my SMTP mail sending began to fail.  Despite the fact that
I have smtp-debug-info set to t, I get no *trace of ...* buffer.  All
I see is (in *Messages*):

  Sending...
  Sending via mail...
  message-send-mail-with-sendmail: Sending...failed with exit value 1

So I decided to rebuild emacs without cygwin, and actually managed to
figure out how to use MinGW and get an emacs with image support on NT!
Fantastic!

But smtpmail still fails in the same way.

Furthermore, now my IMAP doesn't work either

  1 -> imap-opened: buffer=" *nnimap* stlport.com"
  1 <- imap-opened: nil
  1 -> imap-open: server="stlport.com" port=nil stream=ssl auth=login buffer=" *nnimap* stlport.com"
  | 2 -> imap-opened: buffer=" *nnimap* stlport.com"
  | 2 <- imap-opened: nil
  | 2 -> imap-open-1: buffer=" *nnimap* stlport.com"
  | | 3 -> imap-ssl-open: name="imap" buffer=" *nnimap* stlport.com" server="stlport.com" port=nil
  | | | 4 -> imap-parse-greeting:
  | | | 4 <- imap-parse-greeting: nil
  | | | 4 -> imap-parse-greeting:
  | | | 4 <- imap-parse-greeting: nil
  | | | 4 -> imap-parse-greeting:
  | | | 4 <- imap-parse-greeting: nil
  | | | 4 -> imap-parse-greeting:
  | | | 4 <- imap-parse-greeting: nil
  | | 3 <- imap-ssl-open: nil
  | 2 <- imap-open-1: nil
  1 <- imap-open: nil

I haven't tracked this one down yet but I'm guessing it's due to the
lack of a non-cygwin openssl on my system.

Any help greatly appreciated!

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting