From: Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com>
Subject: Re: New colors for undownloaded articles: tweak behavior a bit?
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:29:24 -0600	[thread overview]

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:

> By default, the agent is enabled.  That's good, even if I don't really
> use it when Emacs is running on the same host as the imap server.  So
> I didn't turn it off.
>
> But now it turns out that I can't tell the difference between normal
> articles and ticked articles anymore from the color.
>
> I wonder if it would make sense to lower the priority of the
> "downloaded/undownloaded" distinction a bit in favor of showing other
> attributes, if Gnus is plugged?  I appreciate that the
> downloaded/undownloaded distinction is important when one is offline
> (can't read the undownloaded ones), but is it important when one is
> online?
>
> Hm.  It is important for those who quickly want to see which articles
> to mark for downloading.  Hm.  But is it possible to do it another
> way?

Exactly.  The color scheme is a waste once you're offline as you can't
fetch the undownloaded articles.  The entire point is to let online
users know what content will be available should they go offline.

As for the precidence, I tried a number of precidence settings and
this was the only one that made sense.

What would be nice is if we could rewrite the gnus-summary-hightlight
form to select face attributes rather than faces.  That way multiple
attributes would combine to select a distinct face.

Now that the agent is being used for online caching, the color scheme
is probably too intrusive (at least for those users).  That's why you
can disable it.  There is more information in the manual under Agent
Visuals should you be interested.

Kevin