From: Andrew Hilborne <andrew.hilborne@gxn.net>
Cc: "(ding)" <ding@gnus.org>
Subject: Re: missing POP3 mail
Date: 17 Dec 1999 10:49:49 +0000	[thread overview]

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> * Andrew Hilborne <andrew.hilborne@gxn.net>  on Wed, 15 Dec 1999
> | Quite possibly. But I worked with this particular _instance_ of qpopper for
> | years, used by thousands of dial-up and other users, and we suffered no such
> | problems. This is in contrast to pop3d which we used before that, which was
> | horrible.
>
> Well, like I said, if qpopper has the drop locked as you described, there
> is nothing pop3.el or any POP client can do to it.

This is not the issue. The issue is my suspicion that pop3.el has failed in its
duties (the overriding one being *never* to lose mail) in the face of this
behaviour on the part of qpopper, and possibly unexpected behaviour on my own
part.

Anyway, I can't prove any of this at this time, and clearly noone else knows
anything definitive about such a problem. So I'm going to shut up, until I have
time to try to reproduce it.

--
Andrew Hilborne