* Gnus forgets marks if switching from unplugged to plugged
@ 2005-05-04 17:30 Burkhard Perkens-Golomb
From: Burkhard Perkens-Golomb @ 2005-05-04 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

The problem:

I download articles while Gnus is in plugged state. I switch to
unplugged state, read and mark articles while Gnus is unplugged. I
switch back to plugged and press "g" in the group buffer. I see some
messages "Updating marks for <groupname>...done" in the
minibuffer. When the updating is finished all marks (read, ticked,
dormant) I did in the unplugged state are lost :-( .

I'm working with No Gnus 0.3 and GNU Emacs 21.3.1
(i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600).

Thanks,

        Burkhard

* Re: Gnus forgets marks if switching from unplugged to plugged
@ 2005-05-05  3:26 ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2005-05-05  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Burkhard Perkens-Golomb <burkhard.perkens-golomb@web.de> writes:

> Hi!
>
> The problem:
>
> I download articles while Gnus is in plugged state. I switch to
> unplugged state, read and mark articles while Gnus is unplugged. I
> switch back to plugged and press "g" in the group buffer. I see some
> messages "Updating marks for <groupname>...done" in the
> minibuffer. When the updating is finished all marks (read, ticked,
> dormant) I did in the unplugged state are lost :-( .
>
> I'm working with No Gnus 0.3 and GNU Emacs 21.3.1
> (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600).

What backend are you using? nntp, nnimap?

Kevin

* Re: Gnus forgets marks if switching from unplugged to plugged
@ 2005-05-05 17:18   ` Burkhard Perkens-Golomb
From: Burkhard Perkens-Golomb @ 2005-05-05 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5 Mai 2005, Kevin Greiner wrote:

> Burkhard Perkens-Golomb <burkhard.perkens-golomb@web.de> writes:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> The problem:
>>
>> I download articles while Gnus is in plugged state. I switch to
>> unplugged state, read and mark articles while Gnus is unplugged. I
>> switch back to plugged and press "g" in the group buffer. I see
>> some messages "Updating marks for <groupname>...done" in the
>> minibuffer. When the updating is finished all marks (read, ticked,
>> dormant) I did in the unplugged state are lost :-( .
>>
>> I'm working with No Gnus 0.3 and GNU Emacs 21.3.1
>> (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600).
>
> What backend are you using? nntp, nnimap?

I'm using nntp.

By the way marks done in plugged state stay forever, only marks done
in unplugged state get lost.

       Burkhard

* Re: Gnus forgets marks if switching from unplugged to plugged - SOLUTION (?)
@ 2005-05-13 10:47     ` Burkhard Perkens-Golomb
From: Burkhard Perkens-Golomb @ 2005-05-13 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5 Mai 2005, Burkhard Perkens-Golomb wrote:

> On 5 Mai 2005, Kevin Greiner wrote:
>
>> Burkhard Perkens-Golomb <burkhard.perkens-golomb@web.de> writes:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> The problem:
>>>
>>> I download articles while Gnus is in plugged state. I switch to
>>> unplugged state, read and mark articles while Gnus is unplugged. I
>>> switch back to plugged and press "g" in the group buffer. I see
>>> some messages "Updating marks for <groupname>...done" in the
>>> minibuffer. When the updating is finished all marks (read, ticked,
>>> dormant) I did in the unplugged state are lost :-( .
>>>
>>> I'm working with No Gnus 0.3 and GNU Emacs 21.3.1
>>> (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600).
>>
>> What backend are you using? nntp, nnimap?
>
> I'm using nntp.
>
> By the way marks done in plugged state stay forever, only marks done
> in unplugged state get lost.

I've found a simple way to get the expected behaviour: I've set the
variable gnus-agent-synchronize-flags to t (previously it was
nil). From the docs I expected the variable to be relevant for
agentized IMAP groups only. But gnus-agent-synchronize-flags seems to
be used for nntp groups too. Was it changed sometime ago? If so the
docs should be changed.

@ 2005-05-14 18:25       ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2005-05-14 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Burkhard Perkens-Golomb <burkhard.perkens-golomb.NOSP@M.web.de> writes:

> On 5 Mai 2005, Burkhard Perkens-Golomb wrote:

>>> What backend are you using? nntp, nnimap?
>>
>> I'm using nntp.
>>
>> By the way marks done in plugged state stay forever, only marks done
>> in unplugged state get lost.
>
> I've found a simple way to get the expected behaviour: I've set the
> variable gnus-agent-synchronize-flags to t (previously it was
> nil). From the docs I expected the variable to be relevant for
> agentized IMAP groups only. But gnus-agent-synchronize-flags seems to
> be used for nntp groups too. Was it changed sometime ago? If so the
> docs should be changed.

Excellent news.  I'll update the manual.

Kevin