From: Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com>
Subject: Need suggestions for changing agent's downloadable mark.
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 23:36:31 -0600	[thread overview]

I've noticed a problem with the agent's downloadable mark.  As gnus
currently works, a downloadable mark will persist until either a) the
user manually removes it, or b) the agent successfully downloads the
marked article.

What I've found, by reading my own newsrc file, is that I have a
number of ancient downloadable marks stored in it.  Apparently, I
marked a number of articles as downloadable then changed my mind and
ran catchup on the group.  Now, the server's active range has moved so
I can't get these articles back in the summary buffer to manually
remove the mark.

I could fix this by editing the newsrc file but I'm concerned that any
number of people may have the same unrecognized problem.  What I need
is a process, either manual or automatic, that cleans up the
downloadable marks.

Right now, my best idea is to change downloadable marks to say that
downloadable marks on READ articles will not be stored in the newsrc
file.  This is actually a very simple change to implement and, I
suspect, that it will have minimal impact on users.

Would anyone object to this change?  Better yet, does anyone wish to
propose an alternative solution?

Kevin