* getting ticked/dormant article without contacting news server
@ 2004-09-15 15:44 Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2004-09-15 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

My news server has just disappeared.  I'd like to be able to enter
my news groups and view the ticked and dormant articles, and copy
them to a mail group for future reference.

I don't normally use the agent, but I tried going unplugged, and was
still unable to enter the group.  The messages I got were:

  Retrieving newsgroup: comp.lang.python...
  Opening nntp server on news...
  Denied server
  Opening nntp server on news...failed
  gnus-select-newsgroup: Couldn't open server

My *Server* buffer does show that the server is agentized:

     {nntp:news} (denied) (agent)

I can use gnus-group-make-directory-group to view the cache
directory as a group, but it has no knowledge of which articles
are ticked and which are dormant, and probably also contains
other recent articles that I don't want to save.

Any suggestions?

Dan