* "ghost" nnimap group with topics
@ 2000-08-01 10:51 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-08-01 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Platform: XEmacs 20.4, linux, Gnus v5.8.8 (CVS checkout from July 26 2000)

In
	http://www3.metis.no/private/sb/misc/gnusghost.gif
one can see the group "nnimap+tyr:imap/metis.alle" in two places.

One is in the top level topic.  This is the "ghost" group.
If I kill this entry, it is back the next time I do a get.

The other one is under the [Metis] topic, which is where I want it.

I usually subscribe to a nnimap group by browsing the server (I must
do it that way, if I wish to subscribe to a group with spaces in its
name).

When I come back to the *Group* buffer I have two entries for the
subscribed group.  One of this entries replaces the metis.alle
"ghost".  When I kill one of these groups to move it to a more
appropriate place, the other one disappears.

After the next "g", metis.alle is back.

Any ideas of how to remove it permanently?

* Re: "ghost" nnimap group with topics
@ 2000-08-01 16:18 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-08-01 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Does it work to `T D' one of the copies?  Does it work to `T m' it?
kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: "ghost" nnimap group with topics
@ 2000-08-02  6:28   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-08-02  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Does it work to `T D' one of the copies?

Same behaviour as C-k: I did a `T D', and it was gone.  I then did an
`s' (which means something was perceived to be changed in the
~/.newsrc.eld).

Then I do a new `g' and it was back.

> Does it work to `T m' it?

I can move the normal group, but if I try moving the "ghost" I
duplicate it instead.  So for a while here I had three versions of the
group, but luckily the extra copy was removable...:-)

* Re: "ghost" nnimap group with topics
@ 2000-08-02  8:13 ` Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)
From: Yair Friedman (Jerusalem) @ 2000-08-02  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> Any ideas of how to remove it permanently?

Apart from editing the .newsrc.eld as Simon mentioned, you might look
for nnimap files to be removed or edited under ~/News/chache
(``gnus-cache-directory''), and ~/News/overview (``nnimap-directory'')

HTH,
Yair

* Re: "ghost" nnimap group with topics
@ 2000-08-02 11:12     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-08-02 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Another idea might be this: turn off topics, then kill the group in
question, then turn on topics, then yank the group into the topic you
want.

Maybe that does something useful; I don't know, though.

Sometimes, it appears that topic mode is reluctant to do what you
want.  But most people seem to get it right quickly and then they
never have to worry about it again.  So there are few bug reports.

Maybe you could collect some information on your ghost group and
submit a bug report?  Maybe the output of `G E' could be useful.  And
some parts of .newsrc.eld (the parts about the topics topology).

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.