* ding list hosts
@ 1999-05-03  2:46 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-05-03  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Any one know of other hosts that carry the emacs.ding nntp group.

My connection to sunsite.auc.dk is almost always very unstable.

* Re: ding list hosts
@ 1999-05-03  3:30 ` Jason L Tibbitts III
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 1999-05-03  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

HP> My connection to sunsite.auc.dk is almost always very unstable.

It also bounces a number of messages back to me (the list owner), so it is
certainly not a complete mirror of the mailing list traffic.

Honestly, if anyone is gatewaying the list to public newsgroups, I don't
know about it.  Doing something like that without asking the list
membership is rather rude.  And propagating such a group is definitely off
limits.

 - J<

* Re: ding list hosts
@ 1999-05-04 12:11   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-05-04 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@math.uh.edu> writes:

> HP> My connection to sunsite.auc.dk is almost always very unstable.
>
> It also bounces a number of messages back to me (the list owner), so it is
> certainly not a complete mirror of the mailing list traffic.
>
> Honestly, if anyone is gatewaying the list to public newsgroups, I don't
> know about it.  Doing something like that without asking the list
> membership is rather rude.  And propagating such a group is definitely off
> limits.

[Note] Hopefully posting this message to ding list may be useful to
       others.

Thanks for the info...

I'm guessing you may also be involved with the list archive on
sina.hpc.uh.edu.

It wasn't clear to me after reading the README on sina /pub how "sina"
can be made to tar.gz (through anonynmous ftp) a
selection of files from the ding-list directory.  There was indication
of tar and gzip  ability, with `get <file>.tar.gz'.  But applying that
to a specific range is where I'm having trouble.

If I wanted to get messages 10001 thru 190001 from "ding-list"
archive, is it possible, thru ftp, to get those specific messages in a
"tar.gz"file?

Can you coach me a bit on what such a command line would look like
using a plain Gnu ftp client (ftp-0.10-3) or ncftp (ncftp-3.0beta14-1)?

* Re: ding list hosts
@ 1999-05-04 14:52     ` Jason L Tibbitts III
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 1999-05-04 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

HP> If I wanted to get messages 10001 thru 190001 from "ding-list" archive,
HP> is it possible, thru ftp, to get those specific messages in a
HP> "tar.gz"file?

There isn't really a way to do that.  The hack for fetching a directory as
an archive is just a hack; there's no way to specify that you want a bunch
of files as an archive.  (To my knowledge, no FTP server allows this.)

If you really want a tar file with some messages in it, feel free to ask.

 - J<