* No prefetch with nnvirtual?
@ 1996-12-13  0:23 Jason L Tibbitts III
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 1996-12-13  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Now that nnvirtual is working well again and I can actually try to use it,
I've realized that, sadly, prefetch doesn't work there.  I suppose I can
understand this given the additional layer of complexity, but reading
virtual groups on foreign servers can be slooooooowwww.  Something else for
the todo list, I suppose.

 - J<

* Re: No prefetch with nnvirtual?
@ 1996-12-16 12:58 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-12-16 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@hpc.uh.edu> writes:

> Now that nnvirtual is working well again and I can actually try to use it,
> I've realized that, sadly, prefetch doesn't work there.  I suppose I can
> understand this given the additional layer of complexity, but reading
> virtual groups on foreign servers can be slooooooowwww.  Something else for
> the todo list, I suppose.

Doing virtual prefetches (*titter*) should be no problem -- nnvirtual
just has to pass along the calls to the underlying backend.  The
problem is that there's no way to say (currently) on a
article-by-article basis whether an article can be prefetched or not.
That depends on what backend it has been fetched from.

Well, perhaps not.  nnvirtual will be able to ask the backend whether
it's asynchronous, and if not, it'll just return nil for those asynch
calls it can't honor.  Yup.  Should be no problem to code.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: No prefetch with nnvirtual?
@ 1996-12-16 21:10   ` Jason L Tibbitts III
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 1996-12-16 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

LMI> Doing virtual prefetches (*titter*) should be no problem -- nnvirtual
LMI> just has to pass along the calls to the underlying backend.

Oddly enough, late one night I was reading in one of my big virtual groups
and it suddenly started prefetching.  *Messages* was filled with
alternating "prefetching..." lines and errors like "args out of range."
Unfortunately I couldn't duplicate it, and I have no idea what I did to
make it happen.

 - J<