From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@hpc.uh.edu>
Subject: Re: procmail and nnfolder
Date: 05 Apr 1997 02:36:10 -0600	[thread overview]

JRM> So does this mean I've been doing what the manual says not to?

Yes.

JRM> If so, why is this bad?  I've never noticed any side effects from this
JRM> combination.

You will eventually lose mail.  You may have already.  The problem is that
Gnus expects that it owns its folders and that nothing is messing with them
in the background.  If Procmail adds a message while Gnus is processing a
folder in memory, then Gnus saves its buffer out to disk, you have just
lost mail and you'll never know about it.

JRM> I'm also a bit confused with at the proposed solution of having
JRM> procmail filter incoming mail in a nnmail-procmail-directory instead.

You have Procmail stuff mail in spool files, pre-sorted and filtered.  Gnus
then picks these up and stuff the messages in the appropriate groups.  Gnus
uses movemail to actually move the mail out of the spool, and movemail uses
locking that Procmail understands, so there is no danger of mail loss.

JRM> Why are nnfolder-directory and nnmail-procmail-directory two different
JRM> directories if nnmail-procmail-directory will contain the mail boxes
JRM> that procmail appends to and nnfolder-directory is supposed to be
JRM> "All the nnfolder mail boxes will be stored under this directory"?

Because Procmail should stuff its mail in different folders, _not_ in the
ones that your regular mail is stored in.

JRM> Is the idea to have Gnus use nnmail-procmail-directory as a temporary
JRM> directory that it draws from to process and then deposit nnfolder
JRM> mailboxes in the nnfolder-directory?

Yep.

 - J<