* Re: E-mail abuse report (was: Now available.)
       [not found] ` <1rn254hyab.fsf@haey.ifi.uio.no>
@ 1998-12-05 15:53   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-12-05 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kjetil Torgrim Homme

Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Lars, I think we should set up the ding list so that it is closed to
> non-subscribers.  I catch a lot of spam that way on my two small
> lists.  You might want to make it completely automated by majordomo at
> the same time, but that's not necessary.

The ding list at ifi is now just an alias for ding@gnus.org, and it
was announced half a year ago that it was going to go away, so I think
it might be a good idea just to discontinue ding@ifi.uio.no now.
Kjetil, could you do whatever magic required to make it disappear?

* Re: E-mail abuse report (was: Now available.)
@ 1998-12-05 19:35     ` Jason L Tibbitts III
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 1998-12-05 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kjetil Torgrim Homme

LMI> Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@ifi.uio.no> writes:
>> Lars, I think we should set up the ding list so that it is closed to
>> non-subscribers.

I'm not sure who 'we' is in this context, since I am the owner of the list
in question and it's run from a machine here in Houston, Texas.

I can close the list to nonmembers rather trivially, but that gets in the
way of folks who post from multiple addresses (like Lars) which I can cope
with although it takes more of my time.  I could also move the list over to
a Majordomo2 server now instead of after I'm more certain of the stability
of the software, but then you'd have to put up with any bugs.  (Majordomo2
lets you folks who post from multiple addresses note that fact, among other
things.)

Is it worth the trouble to filter out the staggeringly huge amount of one
spam every few months that gets by my mountain of filters and the filters
at Gnus.org?  I just run, not govern; you folks decide.

I do wonder, though, if spam coming through ifi.uio.no is treated any
differently then spam coming directly to gnus.org?

 - J<

* Re: E-mail abuse report (was: Now available.)
@ 1998-12-06  0:02       ` Aaron M. Ucko
From: Aaron M. Ucko @ 1998-12-06  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=NIL, Size: 347 bytes --]

Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@hpc.uh.edu> writes:

> I can close the list to nonmembers rather trivially, but that gets in the
> way of folks who post from multiple addresses (like Lars) which I can cope

And in the way of folks like me who read the list via read-only gateways...

--
Aaron M. Ucko, KB1CJC <amu@mit.edu> (finger amu@monk.mit.edu)

* Re: E-mail abuse report (was: Now available.)
@ 1998-12-06  2:10       ` Kjetil Torgrim Homme
From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme @ 1998-12-06  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

[Jason L. Tibbitts, III]

I hadn't discovered that Lars had stopped using the ding@ifi.uio.no
list :-) It was still active, but forwarded to ding@gnus.org.

>   I can close the list to nonmembers rather trivially, but that gets
>   in the way of folks who post from multiple addresses (like Lars)
>   which I can cope with although it takes more of my time.

Yes.  I need to manually add an address alias and resend messages
about once a week on my Crossfire list.  It's some work, but I catch
approx. 1-2 spams a day this way.  In some ways it would be worse on
my low volume Bel Canto list, since without such a filter there'd be
more spam than content...

>   Is it worth the trouble to filter out the staggeringly huge amount
>   of one spam every few months that gets by my mountain of filters
>   and the filters at Gnus.org?  I just run, not govern; you folks
>   decide.

You are very very lucky.  Evidently, the mailing list currently isn't
widely listed (Altavista found 20 references to ding@gnus.org, 66 to
ding@ifi.uio.no and 780 to crossfire@ifi.uio.no), but my guess is that
those numbers will change.

>   I do wonder, though, if spam coming through ifi.uio.no is treated
>   any differently then spam coming directly to gnus.org?

You tell me :-)

Kjetil T.

* Re: E-mail abuse report (was: Now available.)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-12-06 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@hpc.uh.edu> writes:

> Is it worth the trouble to filter out the staggeringly huge amount of one
> spam every few months that gets by my mountain of filters and the filters
> at Gnus.org?

Nah.  If it becomes a real problem, then we can see what actions to
take.  In the meantime, majordomo2 may have become stable and stuff,
and you can switch at your leisure.

* Re: E-mail abuse report (was: Now available.)
@ 1998-12-07 15:09         ` Jason L Tibbitts III
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 1998-12-07 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

KTH> You are very very lucky.  Evidently, the mailing list currently isn't
KTH> widely listed (Altavista found 20 references to ding@gnus.org, 66 to
KTH> ding@ifi.uio.no and 780 to crossfire@ifi.uio.no), but my guess is that
KTH> those numbers will change.

Oh, spam is sent, it just doesn't generally get through RBL, DUL, and ORBS
(may it rest in peace) filtering.  And if it does, it generally gets
trapped by the filters I have in place.

>> I do wonder, though, if spam coming through ifi.uio.no is treated any
>> differently then spam coming directly to gnus.org?

KTH> You tell me :-)

I don't have anything to do with gnus.org, so I don't know.

 - J<