* spam-get-article-as-filename needed?
@ 2003-02-24 17:57 Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-02-24 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was looking at the compilation logs only to see that spam.el
generated a couple of warning messages concerning
nnml-current-directory and nnml-possibly-change-directory.

After checking a little further, I found that
  1) The only dependencies to nnml are in
     spam-get-article-as-filename.
  2) spam-get-article-as-filename is functionally equivalent to
     nnml-article-to-file except that the later appears to handle
     compressed files (see nnml-use-compressed-files).
  3) I can't find any calls to spam-get-article-as-filename.

I don't want to touch spam.el since I'm not at all familiar with that
code.  Still, I'd like to see the compilation warnings resolved.

It seems to me that the options are:
1) Add (require 'nnml) to spam.el
2) Delete spam-get-article-as-filename
3) Rewrite spam-get-article-as-filename to implicitly depend on
   nnml-article-as-file.  For example,
      (defun spam-get-article-as-filename (article)
        (funcall 'nnml-article-to-file article))

Kevin

* Re: spam-get-article-as-filename needed?
@ 2003-02-24 18:16 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-02-24 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com wrote:
> I was looking at the compilation logs only to see that spam.el
> generated a couple of warning messages concerning
> nnml-current-directory and nnml-possibly-change-directory.

Strange, I was not seeing those warnings.

> After checking a little further, I found that
>   1) The only dependencies to nnml are in
>      spam-get-article-as-filename.
>   2) spam-get-article-as-filename is functionally equivalent to
>      nnml-article-to-file except that the later appears to handle
>      compressed files (see nnml-use-compressed-files).
>   3) I can't find any calls to spam-get-article-as-filename.
>
> I don't want to touch spam.el since I'm not at all familiar with
> that code.  Still, I'd like to see the compilation warnings
> resolved.
>
> It seems to me that the options are:
> 1) Add (require 'nnml) to spam.el
> 2) Delete spam-get-article-as-filename
> 3) Rewrite spam-get-article-as-filename to implicitly depend on
>    nnml-article-as-file.  For example,
>       (defun spam-get-article-as-filename (article)
>         (funcall 'nnml-article-to-file article))

The original intent was (and still is) to allow training a spam/ham
backend directly from the files, rather than through the less
efficient parameter passing.  It's not useful yet, however, so I
commented the code out for the time being.  It will come back when I
put a bunch of other things in place, and I'll keep in mind your issue
with nnml symbols.

Thanks!
Ted

* Re: spam-get-article-as-filename needed?
@ 2003-02-24 18:32   ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-02-24 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com wrote:
>> I was looking at the compilation logs only to see that spam.el
>> generated a couple of warning messages concerning
>> nnml-current-directory and nnml-possibly-change-directory.
>
> Strange, I was not seeing those warnings.

If you compile in the same emacs as you are running gnus, you won't
see these as gnus will have already loaded nnml.  I only see this sort
of message when I compile in a new emacs that has never run gnus.

>> After checking a little further, I found that
>>   1) The only dependencies to nnml are in
>>      spam-get-article-as-filename.
>>   2) spam-get-article-as-filename is functionally equivalent to
>>      nnml-article-to-file except that the later appears to handle
>>      compressed files (see nnml-use-compressed-files).
>>   3) I can't find any calls to spam-get-article-as-filename.
>>
>> I don't want to touch spam.el since I'm not at all familiar with
>> that code.  Still, I'd like to see the compilation warnings
>> resolved.
>>
>> It seems to me that the options are:
>> 1) Add (require 'nnml) to spam.el
>> 2) Delete spam-get-article-as-filename
>> 3) Rewrite spam-get-article-as-filename to implicitly depend on
>>    nnml-article-as-file.  For example,
>>       (defun spam-get-article-as-filename (article)
>>         (funcall 'nnml-article-to-file article))
>
> The original intent was (and still is) to allow training a spam/ham
> backend directly from the files, rather than through the less
> efficient parameter passing.  It's not useful yet, however, so I
> commented the code out for the time being.  It will come back when I
> put a bunch of other things in place, and I'll keep in mind your issue
> with nnml symbols.

Thanks.  That's what I hoped to hear.

@ 2003-02-24 20:08     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-02-24 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com wrote:
> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com wrote:
>>> I was looking at the compilation logs only to see that spam.el
>>> generated a couple of warning messages concerning
>>> nnml-current-directory and nnml-possibly-change-directory.
>>
>> Strange, I was not seeing those warnings.
>
> If you compile in the same emacs as you are running gnus, you won't
> see these as gnus will have already loaded nnml.  I only see this
> sort of message when I compile in a new emacs that has never run
> gnus.

I always compile from the command line ('make').  Is that wrong?  It
seems to be the "right" way to compile, as it does several autoloading
tricks.

Ted