From: Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: gmane "Server Closed Connection" problem on Vista
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 22:25:35 +0200	[thread overview]

>> Can you try the equivalent NNTP commands over telnet and see if Gmane
>> hangs up the connection?

> I guess... if I can find a telnet that works as expected on Vista...?

Not yet.  I need to figure out how to do the equivalent commands.

>> How about another NNTP client?

> Yeah, I can try with Thunderbird.

Ok.  Right now I have a troublesome group, gmane.emacs.orgmode with 4208
unread.  When I try opening that group, Gnus sometimes read some hundred
keys and then says "Server closed connection".  Sometimes it goes
straight to "Server closed connection".

I started Thunderbird, and created a newsgroup account for
news.gmane.org, subscribed to gmane.emacs.orgmode, and told it to
download the 4208 latest headers, marking all others as read.

The summary buffer equivalent came up almost immediately.