* Altering maximum article download size for agent
@ 2005-02-08 12:49 Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2005-02-08 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Often the maximum article size of 100 lines for downloading articles
into the agent is not enough.  After reading the manual section about
agent categories I thought I could enlarge this limit by customizing
the default category.  So I typed `J c' to enter the category buffer,
then `e' to edit the default category and there I inserted 150 as the
value for "Max Length of Short Article".  Now my category file looks
like this:

,----[ ~/News/agent/lib/categories ]
| ((default short nil nil))
| ((default (agent-length-when-short . 150) (agent-predicate . short)))
`----

But still only articles which are less than 100 lines get downloaded
when typing `J s'.  Isn't it supposed to work like this, or do I have
to customize something else?

--
Ralf

* Re: Altering maximum article download size for agent
@ 2005-02-09 13:01 ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2005-02-09 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ralf Angeli <dev.null@iwi.uni-sb.de> writes:

> Often the maximum article size of 100 lines for downloading articles
> into the agent is not enough.  After reading the manual section about
> agent categories I thought I could enlarge this limit by customizing
> the default category.  So I typed `J c' to enter the category buffer,
> then `e' to edit the default category and there I inserted 150 as the
> value for "Max Length of Short Article".  Now my category file looks
> like this:
>
> ,----[ ~/News/agent/lib/categories ]
> | ((default short nil nil))
> | ((default (agent-length-when-short . 150) (agent-predicate . short)))
> `----
>
> But still only articles which are less than 100 lines get downloaded
> when typing `J s'.  Isn't it supposed to work like this, or do I have
> to customize something else?

That should have been sufficient.

What do you get when you do the following in the group buffer?

M-: (gnus-agent-find-parameter "group-name-as-displayed-in-group-buffer" 'agent-short-article)

It should return your 150.

What does this return?
M-: (gnus-get-predicate (gnus-agent-find-parameter "group-name-as-displayed-in-group-buffer" 'agent-predicate))

Kevin

* Re: Altering maximum article download size for agent
@ 2005-02-09 15:12   ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2005-02-09 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Kevin Greiner (2005-02-09) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <dev.null@iwi.uni-sb.de> writes:
>
>> ,----[ ~/News/agent/lib/categories ]
>> | ((default short nil nil))
>> | ((default (agent-length-when-short . 150) (agent-predicate . short)))
>> `----
>>
>> But still only articles which are less than 100 lines get downloaded
>> when typing `J s'.  Isn't it supposed to work like this, or do I have
>> to customize something else?
>
> That should have been sufficient.
>
> What do you get when you do the following in the group buffer?
>
> M-: (gnus-agent-find-parameter "group-name-as-displayed-in-group-buffer" 'agent-short-article)
>
> It should return your 150.

Unfortunately not:

100 (0144, 0x64)

> What does this return?
> M-: (gnus-get-predicate (gnus-agent-find-parameter "group-name-as-displayed-in-group-buffer" 'agent-predicate))

gnus-agent-short-p

--

@ 2005-02-12 16:45     ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2005-02-12 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ralf Angeli <dev.null@iwi.uni-sb.de> writes:

> * Kevin Greiner (2005-02-09) writes:
>
>> Ralf Angeli <dev.null@iwi.uni-sb.de> writes:
>>
>>> ,----[ ~/News/agent/lib/categories ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> But still only articles which are less than 100 lines get downloaded
>>> when typing `J s'.  Isn't it supposed to work like this, or do I have
>>> to customize something else?
>>
>> That should have been sufficient.
>>
>> What do you get when you do the following in the group buffer?
>>
>> M-: (gnus-agent-find-parameter "group-name-as-displayed-in-group-buffer" 'agent-short-article)
>>
>> It should return your 150.
>
> Unfortunately not:
>
> 100 (0144, 0x64)
>
>> What does this return?
>> M-: (gnus-get-predicate (gnus-agent-find-parameter "group-name-as-displayed-in-group-buffer" 'agent-predicate))
>
> gnus-agent-short-p

Nothing unfortunate. The gnus-agent-find-parameter function checks for
group parameters before your category parameter.  Try this, open your
group then enter 'M-x c-e' to edit group parameters.  I believe that
you'll find the 100 there.

Kevin

* Re: Altering maximum article download size for agent
@ 2005-02-12 17:50       ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2005-02-12 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Kevin Greiner (2005-02-12) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <dev.null@iwi.uni-sb.de> writes:
>
>> * Kevin Greiner (2005-02-09) writes:

[...]
>>> What do you get when you do the following in the group buffer?
>>>
>>> M-: (gnus-agent-find-parameter "group-name-as-displayed-in-group-buffer" 'agent-short-article)
>>>
>>> It should return your 150.
>>
>> Unfortunately not:
>>
>> 100 (0144, 0x64)
>>
>>> What does this return?
>>> M-: (gnus-get-predicate (gnus-agent-find-parameter "group-name-as-displayed-in-group-buffer" 'agent-predicate))
>>
>> gnus-agent-short-p

Addendum to the above: My primary select method is nnnil and I don't
have a standard group line, so I used both the full name
(e.g. nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.gnus.general) and the short name
(e.g. gmane.emacs.gnus.general) for those tests which both returned
the same values.

> Nothing unfortunate. The gnus-agent-find-parameter function checks for
> group parameters before your category parameter.  Try this, open your
> group then enter 'M-x c-e' to edit group parameters.  I believe that
> you'll find the 100 there.

Sorry, I don't understand that key sequence.  But I think the output of
`M-: (gnus-group-find-parameter "nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.gnus.general" 'agent-short-article t) RET'
would do as well.  This is nil.

Stepping through `gnus-agent-find-parameter' I saw that the call to
`gnus-group-parameter-value' returns nil as well.

And after stepping through `gnus-group-parameter-value' I think it
would work if 'agent-short-article and 'agent-length-when-short would
not be different symbols.  In that case the `(eq (car elem) symbol)'
test in `gnus-group-parameter-value' would return t and the function
would return the value of 150 specified in the categories file.

Checking ...

`M-: (gnus-agent-find-parameter "nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.gnus.general" 'agent-length-when-short) RET'

150 (0226, 0x96)

--

@ 2005-02-13 18:26         ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2005-02-13 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ralf Angeli <dev.null@iwi.uni-sb.de> writes:

> * Kevin Greiner (2005-02-12) writes:
>
>> Ralf Angeli <dev.null@iwi.uni-sb.de> writes:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Unfortunately not:
>>>
>>> 100 (0144, 0x64)

>>> gnus-agent-short-p
>
> Addendum to the above: My primary select method is nnnil and I don't
> have a standard group line, so I used both the full name
> (e.g. nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.gnus.general) and the short name
> (e.g. gmane.emacs.gnus.general) for those tests which both returned
> the same values.
>
>> Nothing unfortunate. The gnus-agent-find-parameter function checks for
>> group parameters before your category parameter.  Try this, open your
>> group then enter 'M-x c-e' to edit group parameters.  I believe that
>> you'll find the 100 there.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand that key sequence.  But I think the output of
> `M-: (gnus-group-find-parameter "nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.gnus.general" 'agent-short-article t) RET'
> would do as well.  This is nil.
>
> Stepping through `gnus-agent-find-parameter' I saw that the call to
> `gnus-group-parameter-value' returns nil as well.
>
> And after stepping through `gnus-group-parameter-value' I think it
> would work if 'agent-short-article and 'agent-length-when-short would
> not be different symbols.  In that case the `(eq (car elem) symbol)'
> test in `gnus-group-parameter-value' would return t and the function
> would return the value of 150 specified in the categories file.
>
> Checking ...
>
> `M-: (gnus-agent-find-parameter "nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.gnus.general" 'agent-length-when-short) RET'
>
> 150 (0226, 0x96)

You are absolutely correct.  It also looks like I made the same
mistake with the long article attribute, possibly others as well.  I'm
going to need a couple of days, rather busy right now and I'd like to
look back over the history to refresh why the code ended up looking
like this.

Kevin