* two issues upgrading from Oort 0.03
@ 2002-01-20 19:12 Alfred J Correira
From: Alfred J Correira @ 2002-01-20 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

When 0.04 came out, I tried upgrading, and noticed two
things (at least in my setup):

1. The initial active file read was now (easily) 3x slower
   than it was under 0.03 (annoying, but hardly fatal).

2. Outgoing mail didn't get sent out: it showed up in my
   Gcc folder (so at least some processing occurred) but
   the mail never left my machine.  At first I thought it
   might be some odd interaction with feedmail, but when
   I removed feedmail altogether, outgoing mail still didn't
   leave the machine.  I could still download mail and read
   news.  I didn't try posting to a newsgroup, so I don't
   know whether or not that's broken as well.  Needless to
   say, this is somewhat more than just annoying ...

When I backed down to 0.03 the behaviors in 1&2 disappeared.
Being lazy, I decided to wait for the next version and see
if things got any better.

Since it's happening again with 0.05, I guess I can no longer
wait for the behaviors to simply go away (especially the mail
sending lossage), but I thought I'd first check in and see if
I am alone in my experiences upgrading from 0.03 ...

This is with Emacs 20.7 under Win2K.

--
Alfred Correira     Correira@Flash.Net     Alfred@FireantRanch.Com
PGP DH/DSS: http://certserver.pgp.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xDE8614F5

* Re: two issues upgrading from Oort 0.03
@ 2002-01-20 19:57 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-01-20 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

correira@flash.net (Alfred J Correira) writes:

> When 0.04 came out, I tried upgrading, and noticed two things
> (at least in my setup):
>
> 1. The initial active file read was now (easily) 3x slower >
than it was under 0.03 (annoying, but hardly fatal).

Use M-x elp-instrument-package RET on, e.g., gnus, nn, mail, mm
before starting Gnus and run M-x elp-results RET afterwards to
find what is taking time.

> 2. Outgoing mail didn't get sent out: it showed up in my >
Gcc folder (so at least some processing occurred) but >    the
mail never left my machine.  At first I thought it >    might be
some odd interaction with feedmail, but when >    I removed
feedmail altogether, outgoing mail still didn't >    leave the
machine.  I could still download mail and read >    news.  I
didn't try posting to a newsgroup, so I don't >    know whether or
not that's broken as well.  Needless to >    say, this is somewhat
more than just annoying ...

M-x gnus-bug RET gives more details about your setup, but the
first step in debugging this would be to look at
`message-send-mail-function'.  What value does it have?  I'm
afraid I don't know much about feedmail or W2k so this might be
all the help I can offer.