* Mark all as read?
@ 2005-02-09 16:12 David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2005-02-09 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Can someone please explain the differences between

1) `c' in the summary buffer
2) `Z C' in the summary buffer
3) `C' in the group buffer

??

I really expected 2 and 3 to be equivalent, but #2 actually makes no
change in the number of articles marked unread in the group buffer.

Thanks in advance,

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

* Re: Mark all as read?
@ 2005-02-09 16:53 ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2005-02-09 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:

> Can someone please explain the differences between
>
> 1) `c' in the summary buffer
> 2) `Z C' in the summary buffer

'C-h c' and 'C-h Z C' are informative: 'c' marks all unread messages
as read, 'Z C' marks all messages (read, unread, ticked, whatever) as
read.

> 3) `C' in the group buffer
>
> I really expected 2 and 3 to be equivalent, but #2 actually makes no
> change in the number of articles marked unread in the group buffer.

I'd kind of expect (2) and (3) to be the same as well.  You can also
run 'c' from the group buffer, which has the same effect as running it
from the summary buffer.  I don't think I've ever actually used the
capital-C variants.

  --dzm

* Re: Mark all as read? (nnimap?)
@ 2005-02-12 21:08   ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2005-02-12 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Z Maze <dmaze@MIT.EDU> writes:

> David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:
>
>> Can someone please explain the differences between
>>
>> 1) `c' in the summary buffer
>> 2) `Z C' in the summary buffer
>
> 'C-h c' and 'C-h Z C' are informative: 'c' marks all unread messages
> as read, 'Z C' marks all messages (read, unread, ticked, whatever) as
> read.
>
>> 3) `C' in the group buffer
>>
>> I really expected 2 and 3 to be equivalent, but #2 actually makes no
>> change in the number of articles marked unread in the group buffer.
>
> I'd kind of expect (2) and (3) to be the same as well.  You can also
> run 'c' from the group buffer, which has the same effect as running it
> from the summary buffer.  I don't think I've ever actually used the
> capital-C variants.

Another data point: in the group buffer, it's very common for me to do
`c' on an nnimap group, and see the number of unread messages go to
zero, as one would expect.  But if I follow that with `g', the
number of unread messages returns to the old value.  That's why I tend
to use the big `C' hammer.  The whole experience is really flaky.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting