But I still think the fact that I get the "imap read: ..." dance counting up to 27K *twice* when I do `M-G' and receive no messages is highly suspicious. > To find out what causes slowness for small data, you must tcpdump or > ethereal the stream to see which side is delaying the transfer, or if > it is the network that has high latency. ELP data isn't that useful > in this case. Maybe I'll try that stuff later today if I can figure it out, thanks. -- Dave Abrahams Boost Consulting www.boost-consulting.com