From: Sudish Joseph <joseph@cis.ohio-state.edu>
Cc: ding@ifi.uio.no
Subject: Re: About to-addresses and followup [poll]
Date: 13 Nov 1995 23:43:39 -0500	[thread overview]

Steven L Baur writes:
> I'm finding the practice of cc'ing the original author along with
> the mailing list increasingly irritating.  With Usenet and
> sprintlink (our basic upstream feed) it's useful, since news is
> frequently lost.  But with a mailing list, it just means getting two
> (almost, but not quite, identical) copies of the same message.
> Please enlighten me what this practice is useful for.  I'm not so
> biased at this point I can't change my mind.

For lots of mailing lists, it is common that the person who originated
the thread is not a member of the list.  For e.g., lists related to
software--a person asks a question but isn't interested in other
topics being discussed.  If we discard CC'ed addresses, this person
will lose all second and higher level messages in the ensuing
discussion.  If we don't respect even the To: header, people will get
no replies whatsoever.  I pray we don't try to enforce such a model.

Duplicate elimination is a simple process with most filters.

> How will gnus-auto-mail-to-author relate?

It doesn't enter the picture for mailgroups.

-Sudish

PS: GNUS didn't insert a References: header on your reply, could you
see why?