* What about smtp passwords?
@ 2002-10-06 20:44 David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2002-10-06 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just getting started with Gnus, so I may have completely missed this,
but...  The smtp server I want to use requires a password, and
whenever I try to send messages to it, I get

* Re: What about smtp passwords?
@ 2002-10-06 21:05 ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2002-10-06 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:

> Just getting started with Gnus, so I may have completely missed this,
> but...  The smtp server I want to use requires a password, and
> whenever I try to send messages to it, I get

Well, now I'm completely baffled. That clipped message happened
because I tried to send through that server so I could find the error
message, and it suddenly worked! Now, when I start a fresh copy of
emacs and try again, it doesn't work. I get "SMTP protocol error".

Any help appreciated, thanks

Dave

* Re: What about smtp passwords?
@ 2002-10-06 23:05   ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2002-10-06 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:

> David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:
>
> > Just getting started with Gnus, so I may have completely missed this,
> > but...  The smtp server I want to use requires a password, and
> > whenever I try to send messages to it, I get
>
> Well, now I'm completely baffled. That clipped message happened
> because I tried to send through that server so I could find the error
> message, and it suddenly worked! Now, when I start a fresh copy of
> emacs and try again, it doesn't work. I get "SMTP protocol error".
>
> Any help appreciated, thanks

Well eventually I helped myself. A new smtpmail.el and netrc.el from
the current emacs CVS made it all work. I'm really surprised
AUTH=LOGIN support wasn't in an earlier emacs release, though, since
various versions of it seem to have been floating around since 2000,
at least.

--
           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting
dave@boost-consulting.com * http://www.boost-consulting.com