* Re: Another set of gnus questions
@ 2000-06-27 14:49 Galen Boyer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Galen Boyer @ 2000-06-27 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntemacs-users

I was on the ntemacs mailing list and got this answer to a MIME
question. (I cc'd the ntemacs group because they had answered a
few other gnus questions for me and others, so whoever is
following the thread would see this, but I believe I am at the
right place for gnus questions now.)

 Stephen> Be sure to get 5.8.3, not 5.8.6. 5.8.6 has a bug that
 Stephen> prevents sending MIME attachments.

I am sorry.  I am not sure where to get the 5.8.3 distribution.

I went to the ntemacs FAQ and searched on latest, and only got
latest of Emacs and other assorted distributions, the gnus search
only produced gnus usage FAQ.  I also went to the fsf site and
searched on gnus and got back many hits on Gnus Bulletins, but
wasn't sure if any of those were what I needed.  I also went to
the ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/latest/ url and cruising
up and down the hierarchy didn't find anything on 5.8.3.  I then
found, http://quimby.gnus.org/gnus/distribution.html.  Clicked on
the US link and went to http://www.gnus.org/dist/.  This had the
latest, but didn't see 5.8.3. I then searched
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/software/contrib/gnus/ for 5.8.3.  I then
searched for 5.8.3 on http://www.gnus.org/list-archives/ding/
without avail.

How do I find the 5.8.3 which isn't the latest?
The latest distribution is everywhere.

http://im.yahoo.com

* Re: Another set of gnus questions
@ 2000-06-27 17:32 ` Bill Pringlemeir
From: Bill Pringlemeir @ 2000-06-27 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, ntemacs-users

[snip]

 GB> How do I find the 5.8.3 which isn't the latest?  The latest
 GB> distribution is everywhere.

 "ftp://ftp.twoguys.org/gnus/gnus-5.8.3.tar.gz"

I would guess that 5.8.7 would fix the Mime bug.  I am not sure
about intermediate version.  Kai told me to use 5.8.3 and it
does work [even on NT (the New Terror)].

cheers,
Bill

--
It's well known that the system staff is fascist.  It takes a crazy
Neanderthal like you to say that Multics is a really bloated operating

* Re: Another set of gnus questions
@ 2000-06-27 17:35 ` Andrew Innes
From: Andrew Innes @ 2000-06-27 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, ntemacs-users

On 27 Jun 2000 10:49:13 -0400, Galen Boyer <galenboyer@yahoo.com> said:
>How do I find the 5.8.3 which isn't the latest?
>The latest distribution is everywhere.

The following mirror has older releases as well:

ftp://ftp.twoguys.org/gnus/

AndrewI

* Re: Another set of gnus questions
@ 2000-06-28  7:54 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-06-28  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, ntemacs-users

Galen Boyer <galenboyer@yahoo.com> writes:

> How do I find the 5.8.3 which isn't the latest?

There is the FTP server ftp.gnus.org which contains LOTS of versions,
including 5.8.3.

FWIW, this server also contains a snapshots directory for the daring
who wish to try out the development version.  Don't forget to put on
your asbestos longjohns before you do this.  (The development version
has been working fine for me for months now.)

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.