From: "Erik Østlyngen" <eriko@ifbt.ntnu.no>
Subject: Re: pop3-movemail trouble
Date: 16 Jun 1999 09:26:32 +0200	[thread overview]

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> * "Erik Østlyngen" <eriko@ifbt.ntnu.no>  on Tue, 15 Jun 1999
> | Is it possible to log the commands that pguns sends to the pop server?
>
> I rather miserably failed to get that working right (the code is commented
> out of pop3.el if you want to take a look at it).  What pop3 does leave
> behind is a trace buffer of everything that comes back from the server
> (less actual message bodies).  Looking at that might give you an idea of
> what is going on.

Yes, I've seen that. The buffer contains the following after the "Mail
source error" occurs:

  +OK POP3 dj.stud.ntnu.no proxy server v1.0 ready.
  -ERR Command line too long.
  -ERR Null command.

It looks like pguns (I'm using version 0.88) sends an invalid command
to the server after connecting. Is there an easy way to insert trace
sentences into the pop3 code? (I'm not a very skilled lisp
programmer).  The pop3-user and pop3-pass functions contains some
string variables which I would like to examine.

I have tried connecting to the pop server by telnet, and it accepts
the usual commands (which pgnus is supposed to send):

telnet pop.stud.ntnu.no 110
  <connected>
  +OK POP3 dj.stud.ntnu.no proxy server v1.0 ready.
  user erikoest
  +OK User name accepted, password please
  pass SecretWord
  +OK Mailbox open, 2 messages
  quit
  +OK Sayonara
  <connection closed>

My .emacs file has the following (relevant) declarations:

  (setq nnmail-spool-file '(
  (pop :user "erikoest"
       :server "pop.stud.ntnu.no"
       :password "SecretWord")
  ))

  (setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
  (setq mail-source-delete-incoming t)

  (setq user-full-name "Erik Østlyngen")
  (setq user-mail-address "Erik.Ostlyngen@ifbt.ntnu.no")

  (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "inbit.ifbt.ntnu.no")
  (setq smtpmail-local-domain nil)
  (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

  (setq gnus-select-method (quote (nntp "news.ntnu.no")))
  (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "private")))
  (setq gnus-message-archive-group "archive")

-Erik Østlyngen