* Problem with archiving and nnimap
@ 2002-09-17  7:40 Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2002-09-17  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I just upgraded to the latest CVS gnus after my vacation and
found something weird. I have:

(setq gnus-message-archive-group "\"nnimap\+my.mail.server:Sent Items\"")

which has always worked perfectly. (My IMAP server is MS
Exchange and it is nice to have the same folder for items
sent irregardless of the client I'm using.)

But not now.

Now gnus creates one folder called "Sent" and one called
"Items" and puts one copy of the sent messages in each
folder.

Any ideas why this is happening now? My previous gnus
version where this worked was ~2 months old.

Niklas

* Re: Problem with archiving and nnimap
@ 2002-09-17  9:00 ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2002-09-17  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:

> (setq gnus-message-archive-group "\"nnimap\+my.mail.server:Sent Items\"")
> Now gnus creates one folder called "Sent" and one called
> "Items" and puts one copy of the sent messages in each
> folder.

No idea why it used to work but doesn't now, but how about escaping the
blank with a backslash?

--
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

* Re: Problem with archiving and nnimap
@ 2002-09-17  9:10   ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2002-09-17  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> writes:

> No idea why it used to work but doesn't now, but how about
> escaping the blank with a backslash?

If you mean:

(setq gnus-message-archive-group "\"nnimap\+my.mail.server:Sent\ Items\"")

the result is pretty weird:

"\"nnimap+my.mail.server:SentItems\""

Hm. Maybe I should do without the quotes? Like so:

(setq gnus-message-archive-group "nnimap\+my.mail.server:Sent\ Items")

Nope. The result of that is:

"nnimap+my.mail.server:SentItems"

Or did you mean something else?

@ 2002-09-17 10:35 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-09-17 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded to the latest CVS gnus after my vacation and
> found something weird. I have:
>
> (setq gnus-message-archive-group "\"nnimap\+my.mail.server:Sent Items\"")
>
> which has always worked perfectly. (My IMAP server is MS
> Exchange and it is nice to have the same folder for items
> sent irregardless of the client I'm using.)
>
> But not now.
>
> Now gnus creates one folder called "Sent" and one called
> "Items" and puts one copy of the sent messages in each
> folder.
>
> Any ideas why this is happening now? My previous gnus
> version where this worked was ~2 months old.

The GCC handling was modified recently.  That variable result in a GCC
header in the message buffer, does it not?  How does that header look
like?

* Re: Problem with archiving and nnimap
@ 2002-09-17 10:58   ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2002-09-17 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> That variable result in a GCC header in the message buffer,
> does it not?

Sure.

> How does that header look like?

Gcc: ""nnimap+my.mail.server:Sent Items""

@ 2002-09-17 13:23     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-17 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> That variable result in a GCC header in the message buffer,
>> does it not?
>
> Sure.
>
>> How does that header look like?
>
> Gcc: ""nnimap+my.mail.server:Sent Items""

THat's one pair of double quotes too many.  Maybe the modification
adds its own double quotes automatically, so you can remove your
double quotes from the variable.

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

* Re: Problem with archiving and nnimap
@ 2002-09-17 14:00       ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2002-09-17 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Gcc: ""nnimap+my.mail.server:Sent Items""
>
> THat's one pair of double quotes too many.  Maybe the modification
> adds its own double quotes automatically, so you can remove your
> double quotes from the variable.

Ah, of course. I took the extra quotes out (which were
necessary previously). Now it works as it should.

Should this be documented somewhere? Maybe it already is?

@ 2002-09-17 14:18         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-17 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:

> Should this be documented somewhere? Maybe it already is?

I think it's not documented, but it should be.

kai
--

@ 2002-09-17 17:08       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-09-17 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:
>
>> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>>
>>> That variable result in a GCC header in the message buffer,
>>> does it not?
>>
>> Sure.
>>
>>> How does that header look like?
>>
>> Gcc: ""nnimap+my.mail.server:Sent Items""
>
> THat's one pair of double quotes too many.  Maybe the modification
> adds its own double quotes automatically, so you can remove your
> double quotes from the variable.

Yup, I've improved the NEWS entry.  I hope this breach of backwards
compatibility is worth it, opinions?

** Group Carbon Copy (GCC) quoting

To support groups that contains SPC and other weird characters, groups
are quoted before they are placed in the Gcc: header.  This means
variables such as `gnus-message-archive-group' should no longer
contain quote characters to make groups containing SPC work.  Also, if
you are using the string "nnml:foo, nnml:bar" (indicating Gcc into two
groups) you must change it to return the list ("nnml:foo" "nnml:bar"),
otherwise the Gcc: line will be quoted incorrectly.  Note that
returning the string "nnml:foo, nnml:bar" was incorrect earlier, it
just didn't generate any problems since it was inserted directly.

* Re: Problem with archiving and nnimap
@ 2002-09-18  5:55         ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2002-09-18  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Yup, I've improved the NEWS entry. I hope this breach of
> backwards compatibility is worth it, opinions?

I think the new functionality is way better than the old one. I
remember when I first tried to set the gnus-message-archive-group
variable; it was a pain (especially since nnmail-expiry-target
worked in a different way, now the two entries are similar).

Niklas