* Bug with reading news on foreign servers
@ 1998-02-13 18:36 Stefan Waldherr
From: Stefan Waldherr @ 1998-02-13 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

whenever I start XEmacs and gnus from scratch and select a foreign news group,
e.g.,

      *:  nntp+ssh-rhino:de.comp.office-pakete.staroffice                  (5)

I get the attached error. Oddly, when I try to read the same newsgroup again,
it works just fine. Anyone else observe this phenomenon?

cu
Stefan.

[-- Attachment #2: *Backtrace* --]

Stefan Waldherr                office +1 (412) 268-3837
                                  fax +1 (412) 268-5576
                               e-Mail swa@cs.cmu.edu
                                  www http://www.waldherr.org/

* Re: Bug with reading news on foreign servers
@ 1998-02-16 13:19 ` Jan Vroonhof
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1998-02-16 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Waldherr <swa@cs.cmu.edu> writes:

> I get the attached error. Oddly, when I try to read the same newsgroup again,
> it works just fine. Anyone else observe this phenomenon?

Yes. I have seen it for a long time. However I have never been able to
come op with a consistent bug report since it very difficult to find
out what caused it exactly. However most of my backtraces have a
"sort" near the top and Lars has mentioned once that sort is evil.

Jan

* Re: Bug with reading news on foreign servers
@ 1998-02-16 15:27   ` Stefan Waldherr
From: Stefan Waldherr @ 1998-02-16 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Jan> Yes. I have seen it for a long time. However I have never been able to
  Jan> come op with a consistent bug report since it very difficult to find
  Jan> out what caused it exactly. However most of my backtraces have a "sort"
  Jan> near the top and Lars has mentioned once that sort is evil.

Geesh, and I thought I was the only one ;)

One way, that I can reproduce the bug is this; start XEmacs, start gnus and
enter a foreign group (I use ssh in this case). Voila, there it is.

You may want to send Lars your *Backtrace* since he couldn't find the problem
yet. To do that, start XEmacs, start gnus, (load "gnus-sum.el"), (setq
debug-on-error t) and enter the foreign group.

cu
Stefan.