* Gnus/VM with GnuTLS for smtp.gmail.com
@ 2007-05-09 13:25 Kamen TOMOV
From: Kamen TOMOV @ 2007-05-09 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

[Sorry for the test message.]

I've been tring to make smtp.gmail.com work from Gnus so I found out a
few things that I'd like to share and discuss with you.

I tried this howto: http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~terjeros/wiki/GnusGmail

It didn't work out of the box.

My environment is:

Windows XP
EmacsW32 22.0.99.1 (the latest and greatest)
GnuTLS 1.7.8

I don't have startls program as I couldn't find an EXE and didn't want
to deal with compilation.

Google provides two different SMTP services to its users. One on port
465 and another on port 587 of smtp.gmail.com. Point of attention -
these are different SMTP services.

GnuTLS does not work with the service on port 587 - it seems that the
SSL/TLS version is unsupported. However, it works OK with the service
on port 465.

Hint:
gnutls-cli smtp.gmail.com -p 465
EHLO localhost
AUTH LOGIN

The first thing that I noted was that starttls-negotiate uses SIGALRM
that does not work on Windows. However, if the gnutls-cli command is
started without the "-s" option we can make do without
starttls-negotiate (resp without the SIGALRM signal) so I commented it
and removed the option. Unfortunately, this didn't fixed it. Gnus sits
there and waits the function smtpmail-read-response which never
returns. Anybody knows why?

Regards,

--
Камен
http://www.cybuild.com/~kat/

only message in thread, other threads:[~2007-05-09 13:25 UTC | newest]