* Agent add servers twice?
@ 2003-12-29 20:53 Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-12-29 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I noticed the agent started downloading headers for groups twice when
doing `J s', and it seem to be because each server is listed twice in
~/News/agent/lib/servers, e.g.:

("news.gmane.org" "nntp:news.gmane.org" ...)

So I `J r' all servers, restarted emacs and started Gnus and `J a' my
servers again, and the file look the same (i.e., servers listed
twice).

Anyone else seeing this?

My agent settings are rather minimalistic:

 '(gnus-agent-consider-all-articles t)
 '(gnus-agent-enable-expiration (quote DISABLE))
 '(gnus-select-article-hook (quote (gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article ...

Btw, why doesn't gnus-agent-enable-expiration take on standard elisp
boolean values like nil and t instead of 'ENABLE and 'DISABLE?  And
should expiring really be on by default?  Expiring is not on by
default elsewhere in Gnus, AFAIK.

* Re: Agent add servers twice?
@ 2003-12-29 21:05 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-12-29 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some additional information, I noticed `G E' on some affected groups
showed:

("nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.comp.sysutils.automake.patches" 3
 ((1 . 1468))
 ((seen
   (1344 . 1468)))
 "news.gmane.org")

Notice that the server is "news.gmane.org" and not
"nntp:news.gmane.org" which I would expect.  I'm replacing all such
occurrences with the fully qualified server name now and checking if
it helps...

* Re: Agent add servers twice?
@ 2003-12-29 21:48   ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-12-29 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Notice that the server is "news.gmane.org" and not
> "nntp:news.gmane.org" which I would expect.  I'm replacing all such
> occurrences with the fully qualified server name now and checking if
> it helps...

This helped.  To another agent problem:

The agent add/remove commands in the server buffer are confused.

Starting situation:

     {nntp:news.nada.kth.se} (opened)

That is my native server, i.e.:

 '(gnus-select-method (quote (nntp "news.nada.kth.se" (nntp-address "localhost") (nntp-port-number 1191))))

I press J a:

Entered nntp:news.nada.kth.se into the Agent

     {nntp:news.nada.kth.se} (opened)

Notice no (agent)

I press J a again and get

Entered nntp:news.nada.kth.se into the Agent

     {nntp:news.nada.kth.se} (opened) (agent)

Now the lib/servers file contain:

("nntp:news.nada.kth.se" "native")

Bad...

* Re: Agent add servers twice?
@ 2003-12-29 23:23     ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-12-29 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> Notice that the server is "news.gmane.org" and not
>> "nntp:news.gmane.org" which I would expect.  I'm replacing all such
>> occurrences with the fully qualified server name now and checking if
>> it helps...

This behavior is due to the agent using server names, rather than
methods, to keep track of the agentized servers.  As you noted, your
configuration provided a server name that was not fully qualified so
the agent used it.

> This helped.  To another agent problem:
>
> The agent add/remove commands in the server buffer are confused.
>
> Starting situation:
>
>      {nntp:news.nada.kth.se} (opened)
>
> That is my native server, i.e.:
>
>  '(gnus-select-method (quote (nntp "news.nada.kth.se" (nntp-address "localhost") (nntp-port-number 1191))))
>
> I press J a:
>
> Entered nntp:news.nada.kth.se into the Agent
>
>      {nntp:news.nada.kth.se} (opened)
>
> Notice no (agent)
>
> I press J a again and get
>
> Entered nntp:news.nada.kth.se into the Agent
>
>      {nntp:news.nada.kth.se} (opened) (agent)
>
> Now the lib/servers file contain:
>
> ("nntp:news.nada.kth.se" "native")
>
> Bad...

Interesting, this is further evidence of problems with the method/name
mapping.  I made changes to that code this morning (29 Dec).  Have you
updated to the latest CVS since then?

Kevin

* Re: Agent add servers twice?
@ 2003-12-29 23:41       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-12-29 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>>
>>> Notice that the server is "news.gmane.org" and not
>>> "nntp:news.gmane.org" which I would expect.  I'm replacing all such
>>> occurrences with the fully qualified server name now and checking if
>>> it helps...
>
> This behavior is due to the agent using server names, rather than
> methods, to keep track of the agentized servers.  As you noted, your
> configuration provided a server name that was not fully qualified so
> the agent used it.

Yes.  I cannot reproduce this error, so consider it caused by an
earlier problem that corrupted my .newsrc.eld, and now solved.

>> This helped.  To another agent problem:
>>
>> The agent add/remove commands in the server buffer are confused.
>>
>> Starting situation:
>>
>>      {nntp:news.nada.kth.se} (opened)
>>
>> That is my native server, i.e.:
>>
>>  '(gnus-select-method (quote (nntp "news.nada.kth.se" (nntp-address "localhost") (nntp-port-number 1191))))
>>
>> I press J a:
>>
>> Entered nntp:news.nada.kth.se into the Agent
>>
>>      {nntp:news.nada.kth.se} (opened)
>>
>> Notice no (agent)
>>
>> I press J a again and get
>>
>> Entered nntp:news.nada.kth.se into the Agent
>>
>>      {nntp:news.nada.kth.se} (opened) (agent)
>>
>> Now the lib/servers file contain:
>>
>> ("nntp:news.nada.kth.se" "native")
>>
>> Bad...
>
> Interesting, this is further evidence of problems with the method/name
> mapping.  I made changes to that code this morning (29 Dec).  Have you
> updated to the latest CVS since then?

Yes, I'm running latest CVS now, and I was able to reproduce it again.
The first J a add "native" and the second add "nntp:news.nada.kth.se".

* Re: Agent add servers twice?
@ 2003-12-30  3:52         ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-12-30  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:
>
>> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:

>> This behavior is due to the agent using server names, rather than
>> methods, to keep track of the agentized servers.  As you noted, your
>> configuration provided a server name that was not fully qualified so
>> the agent used it.
>
> Yes.  I cannot reproduce this error, so consider it caused by an
> earlier problem that corrupted my .newsrc.eld, and now solved.
>
>>> This helped.  To another agent problem:
>>>
>>> The agent add/remove commands in the server buffer are confused.
>>>
>>> Starting situation:
>>>
>>>      {nntp:news.nada.kth.se} (opened)
>>>
>>> That is my native server, i.e.:
>>>
>>>  '(gnus-select-method (quote (nntp "news.nada.kth.se" (nntp-address "localhost") (nntp-port-number 1191))))
>>>
>>> I press J a:
>>>
>>> Entered nntp:news.nada.kth.se into the Agent
>>>
>>>      {nntp:news.nada.kth.se} (opened)
>>>
>>> Notice no (agent)
>>>
>>> I press J a again and get
>>>
>>> Entered nntp:news.nada.kth.se into the Agent
>>>
>>>      {nntp:news.nada.kth.se} (opened) (agent)
>>>
>>> Now the lib/servers file contain:
>>>
>>> ("nntp:news.nada.kth.se" "native")
>>>
>>> Bad...
>>
>> Interesting, this is further evidence of problems with the method/name
>> mapping.  I made changes to that code this morning (29 Dec).  Have you
>> updated to the latest CVS since then?
>
> Yes, I'm running latest CVS now, and I was able to reproduce it again.
> The first J a add "native" and the second add "nntp:news.nada.kth.se".

I'm unable to reproduce this here.  When I try to reproduce it, the
first 'J a' adds "native" to the list, and the second generates a
warning message about the server already being agentized.  Would you
mind tracing the execution of gnus-agent-add-server?

Kevin