* B m completion
@ 1999-09-29  6:52 Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 1999-09-29  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

L.S.,

I am using nnimap-0.130, pgnus-0.96 and GNU Emacs 20.4.1
(i386-*-nt5.0.2072) of Thu Jul 15 1999 on gridlock

I use procmail to split my mail into some 10 folders in my imap
directory. After reading this mail, I may decide to move it to any of
some other 20 folders in this same directory.

These 20 folders are also on the gnus-group-default-list-level. I want
to do this so that they are well known to gnus, and I get tab
completion when entering the target folder name.

However, the drawback is that nnimap/gnus queries my imap server for
new mail in each of these folders. This is time consuming and
completely useless: I never have any mail delivered to any of these
folders.

I have edited the virtual server for these groups, and set their
nnimap-get-new-mail to nil.

Now gnus does not query my server, but these groups are now kind of
inactive : the new message count field shows * rather than 0, and they
are not anymore in the completion set when I enter 'B m' to move an
article to one of these groups: I have to type the complete
group name.

Is there a way to still have these goups in the completion set?

While I am at it: is there a way to have the prompt initialised with
the current group 'base' name? All these groups have following name
structure : nnimap+servername:imap/groupname

When issuing a 'B m' or 'B c' on an article, I'd like to be prompted
with 'nnimap+servername:imap/' rather than with 'nnimap+servername:'
as is the case.

Although I am using nnimap, I think that these questions are not
specific to nnimap, so I feel I should post this to the ding list.

Any help would be appreciated.

Guido.

* Re: B m completion
@ 1999-09-29 10:13 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-09-29 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Guido Van Hoecke <Guido.VanHoecke@advalvas.be> writes:

> However, the drawback is that nnimap/gnus queries my imap server for
> new mail in each of these folders. This is time consuming and
> completely useless: I never have any mail delivered to any of these
> folders.

Sometimes, nnimap says `checking group foo' for all groups.  This is
really fast.  At other times, it says `updating info for group foo'
for all groups.  This is really slow.  If you see the latter, I think
it would be best for you to make it so that nnimap says `checking'
instead.  I think you will observe an order of magnitude in speed
increase, much more than could be achieved otherwise.

I'm not sure what needs to be done to make it so, but I think the
problem is the select method. I have (manually!) set the select method
of all my nnimap groups to "nnimap:" (no parentheses!), and this
seemed to work well.  Maybe you need "nnimap+foo:", though.

And I find that nnimap switches from `checking' to `updating info'
when doing M-x gnus-no-server RET as well as when invoking M-x gnus
RET with a specific level.  Oh, well.

But maybe this discussion should be in the nnimap list...

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: B m completion
@ 1999-09-29 14:01 ` Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 1999-09-29 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe this has to be discussed on the nnimap list as Kai suggests, so
forgive me the crosspost.

Guido Van Hoecke <Guido.VanHoecke@advalvas.be> writes:

> L.S.,
>
> I am using nnimap-0.130, pgnus-0.96 and GNU Emacs 20.4.1
> (i386-*-nt5.0.2072) of Thu Jul 15 1999 on gridlock
>
> I use procmail to split my mail into some 10 folders in my imap
> directory. After reading this mail, I may decide to move it to any
> of some other 20 folders in this same directory.
>
> These 20 folders are also on the gnus-group-default-list-level. I
> want to do this so that they are well known to gnus, and I get tab
> completion when entering the target folder name.
>
> However, the drawback is that nnimap/gnus queries my imap server for
> new mail in each of these folders. This is time consuming and
> completely useless: I never have any mail delivered to any of these
> folders.
>
> I have edited the virtual server for these groups, and set their
> nnimap-get-new-mail to nil.
>
> Now gnus does not query my server, but these groups are now kind of
> inactive : the new message count field shows * rather than 0, and
> they are not anymore in the completion set when I enter 'B m' to
> move an article to one of these groups: I have to type the complete
> group name.
>
> Is there a way to still have these goups in the completion set?
>
> While I am at it: is there a way to have the prompt initialised with
> the current group 'base' name? All these groups have following name
> structure : nnimap+servername:imap/groupname
>
> When issuing a 'B m' or 'B c' on an article, I'd like to be prompted
> with 'nnimap+servername:imap/' rather than with 'nnimap+servername:'
> as is the case.
>
> Although I am using nnimap, I think that these questions are not
> specific to nnimap, so I feel I should post this to the ding list.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Guido.

* Re: B m completion
@ 1999-09-29 14:13   ` Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 1999-09-29 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:

> Guido Van Hoecke <Guido.VanHoecke@advalvas.be> writes:
>
> > However, the drawback is that nnimap/gnus queries my imap server for
> > new mail in each of these folders. This is time consuming and
> > completely useless: I never have any mail delivered to any of these
> > folders.
>
> Sometimes, nnimap says `checking group foo' for all groups.  This is
> really fast.  At other times, it says `updating info for group foo'
> for all groups.  This is really slow.  If you see the latter, I think
> it would be best for you to make it so that nnimap says `checking'
> instead.  I think you will observe an order of magnitude in speed
> increase, much more than could be achieved otherwise.

Yes, I have now observed this, and indeed the difference is an order
of magnitude. I used to call (gnus 5). Now I just call (gnus) and the
initial phase uses 'checking...' rather than 'updating...'. Boy this
is fast.

However, no matter what I do, the next time around, e.g. by keing 'g'
in the group buffer, or M-x gnus again, it always reverts to 'updating...'

> I'm not sure what needs to be done to make it so, but I think the
> problem is the select method. I have (manually!) set the select method
> of all my nnimap groups to "nnimap:" (no parentheses!), and this
> seemed to work well.  Maybe you need "nnimap+foo:", though.

I have manually edited my select method, and set them to "nnimap:se"
for all my imap groups. But this does not make any difference.

> And I find that nnimap switches from `checking' to `updating info'
> when doing M-x gnus-no-server RET as well as when invoking M-x gnus
> RET with a specific level.  Oh, well.
>
> But maybe this discussion should be in the nnimap list...

Even if somebody can help me with a mechanism to stick to the
'checking' method, I still would like to be able to define that some
groups never need a 'get-new-mail': such a group parameter would still
provide a faster method than the 'checking' approach.

Guido.

* Re: B m completion
@ 1999-10-01 18:36     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-10-01 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Guido Van Hoecke <Guido.VanHoecke@advalvas.be> writes:

> I have manually edited my select method, and set them to "nnimap:se"
> for all my imap groups. But this does not make any difference.

That's not a good select method, I think.  I think that the string
must be the prefix as given by Gnus, ie the part up to the first
colon.  And I think that will be "nnimap+se:" in your case.  Or do all
your IMAP folders start with `se', as in "nnimap:se.foo" or
"nnimap:se/foo"?  In that case, use "nnimap:".  What is your entry in
gnus-secondary-select-methods?  If it is (nnimap "se"
..other.params..), then the string should be "nnimap+se:".  I think.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: B m completion
@ 1999-10-04 21:02       ` Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 1999-10-04 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Guido Van Hoecke <Guido.VanHoecke@advalvas.be> writes:
>
> > I have manually edited my select method, and set them to "nnimap:se"
> > for all my imap groups. But this does not make any difference.
>
> That's not a good select method, I think.  I think that the string

I just copied this from an earlier reply to try it out. But it didn't help.

> must be the prefix as given by Gnus, ie the part up to the first
> colon.  And I think that will be "nnimap+se:" in your case.  Or do all
> your IMAP folders start with `se', as in "nnimap:se.foo" or
> "nnimap:se/foo"?  In that case, use "nnimap:".  What is your entry in
> gnus-secondary-select-methods?  If it is (nnimap "se"
> ...other.params..), then the string should be "nnimap+se:".  I think.

Well it used to be nnimap+se: but as mentioned earlier, I changed it
to nnimap:se to try. And I kept it: it turns out that both work to get
mail, under both ntemacs and xemacs.

The problem was that I could only get tab completion for active
folders under ntemacs, and it takes ages under ntemacs.

I switched to xemacs, and gnus works much faster.

Thanks for your time anyhow.

Guido.