From: ejs@borland.com (Eric J. Swenson)
Cc: Michael Welsh Duggan <md5i+@andrew.cmu.edu>, ding@ifi.uio.no
Subject: Re: nn?? & smtp
Date: 20 Jun 1996 18:38:20 +0000	[thread overview]

Fabrice POPINEAU <popineau@esemetz.ese-metz.fr> writes:

> I think  I'm using  it with  gnus-5.2.19.  I hope  I haven't  lost any
> message for the moment ... My .gnus follows.

And I'm using it with gnus-5-2-22 with no problems.  I won't include
my .gnus file since Fabrice already provided his.

>     Michael> 2) POP3 &| STMP.  Can it be done?  Is it done?

Yes, to use POP3, just set nnmail-spool-file to something like
"po:username", where "po:" is a literal, and "username" is your
username.  You also must have movemail on your path (part of the NT
emacs distribution) and must set the MAILHOST environment variable to
the hostname of the machine that runs POP. You need to (setq
nnmail-pop-password-required t) if your POP server requires a password
(which it probably will).

To use SMTP, get the smtpmail.el package and set
message-send-mail-function to 'smtpmail-send-it.  You need to load or
require the smtpmail package.

> The only glitch is that reading mail with POP3, gnus fetch the mailbox
> once per mail group (or am I wrong ?).

The problem that Fabrice speaks about with Gnus running POP for each
mail group is fixed in 5.2.22.

-- Eric