* Problems with CA certificates in emacs 25
@ 2017-03-05 20:26 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2017-03-05 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Platform: Windows 7,
          GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2016-11-15

I tried firing up emacs 25 for the first time today.

I ran into problems connecting to my imap server.  It sort of just gave
up during the opening phase and set that server to offline.

Here's the nnimap server config:
      '((nnimap "privat"
		(nnimap-address "imap.mydomain.no")
                (nnimap-authenticator cram-md5)
                (nnimap-server-port 993)
                (nnimap-stream ssl))

Here are the contents of the " *nnimap imap.bang.priv.no 993  *nntpd**" buffer:
 * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=CRAM-MD5] Dovecot ready.
 * BYE Disconnected for inactivity.
 closed
  done
 depth=0 CN = imap.bang.priv.no
 verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate
 verify return:1
 depth=0 CN = imap.bang.priv.no
 verify error:num=21:unable to verify the first certificate
 verify return:1

Process *nnimap* finished

I have signed the certificate of my IMAP server using cacert.org.

Do I need to put the cacert.org CA file in some file somewhere?
If so, which one?

Thanks!

- Steinar

* Re: Problems with CA certificates in emacs 25
@ 2017-03-10 18:21 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2017-03-10 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Platform: Windows 7,
>           GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2016-11-15

> I tried firing up emacs 25 for the first time today.

> I ran into problems connecting to my imap server.  It sort of just gave
> up during the opening phase and set that server to offline.

> Here's the nnimap server config:
>       '((nnimap "privat"
> 		(nnimap-address "imap.mydomain.no")
>                 (nnimap-authenticator cram-md5)
>                 (nnimap-server-port 993)
>                 (nnimap-stream ssl))

> Here are the contents of the " *nnimap imap.bang.priv.no 993  *nntpd**" buffer:
>  * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=CRAM-MD5] Dovecot ready.
>  * BYE Disconnected for inactivity.
>  closed
>   done
>  depth=0 CN = imap.bang.priv.no
>  verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate
>  verify return:1
>  depth=0 CN = imap.bang.priv.no
>  verify error:num=21:unable to verify the first certificate
>  verify return:1

> Process *nnimap* finished

> I have signed the certificate of my IMAP server using cacert.org.

> Do I need to put the cacert.org CA file in some file somewhere?
> If so, which one?

What I needed to do was to download the dependencies as outlined here:
 http://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/27251

Ie. what I did, was:
 - Download emacs-25.0.93-i686-w64-mingw32.zip from http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/
 - Unzip the file into the same directory I had unpacked emacs 25 (in my
   case, unpacked to C:\ProgramFiles\emacs-25.1-2-x86_64-w64-mingw32 )
 - I started a new emacs 25 and did 'M-x gnus RET'
 - This time gnus started, I was confronted with a prompt that asked me
   if I would accept connection to a server could not be verified
   - I tried to accept this certificate Always, but I don't know if it
     "took"

At least now I'm up and running.