* Reading HTML messages
@ 2005-05-17  6:27 Flatman
From: Flatman @ 2005-05-17  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I currently use links with emacs for reading HTML messages.
I'd like to know if there are other , maybe better HTML readers useable in emacs ?
Any comments appreciated

Erik

* Re: Reading HTML messages
@ 2005-05-17  7:51 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-05-17  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 17 2005, Flatman wrote:

> I currently use links with emacs for reading HTML messages.  I'd
> like to know if there are other , maybe better HTML readers useable
> in emacs ?

See...

,----[ C-h v mm-text-html-renderer RET ]
| mm-text-html-renderer's value is w3m
|
| Render of HTML contents.
| It is one of defined renderer types, or a rendering function.
| The defined renderer types are:
| `w3'   : use Emacs/W3;
| `w3m'  : use emacs-w3m;
| `w3m-standalone': use w3m;
| `links': use links;
| `lynx' : use lynx;
| `html2text' : use html2text;
| nil    : use external viewer.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Reading HTML messages
@ 2005-05-17  9:54 ` Yair Friedman
From: Yair Friedman @ 2005-05-17  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can try w3m alongside with emacs-s3m mode. It does better job with
international text.

* Re: Reading HTML messages
@ 2005-05-17 10:45   ` Flatman
From: Flatman @ 2005-05-17 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> | Render of HTML contents.
> | It is one of defined renderer types, or a rendering function.
> | The defined renderer types are:
> | `w3'   : use Emacs/W3;
> | `w3m'  : use emacs-w3m;
> | `w3m-standalone': use w3m;
> | `links': use links;
> | `lynx' : use lynx;
> | `html2text' : use html2text;
> | nil    : use external viewer.

which one is the most used ? Which has the nicest output ? Which has the most configuration possibilities ?
which one has the best support in the future ?

or is there a survey somewhere ?

thanks
erik

* Re: Reading HTML messages
@ 2005-05-17 11:44     ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2005-05-17 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Flatman <flatman@swing.be> writes:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>
>> | Render of HTML contents.
>> | It is one of defined renderer types, or a rendering function.
>> | The defined renderer types are:
>> | `w3'   : use Emacs/W3;
>> | `w3m'  : use emacs-w3m;
>> | `w3m-standalone': use w3m;
>> | `links': use links;
>> | `lynx' : use lynx;
>> | `html2text' : use html2text;
>> | nil    : use external viewer.
>

> which one is the most used ? Which has the nicest output ? Which has
> the most configuration possibilities ?  which one has the best support
> in the future ?

I think most people like emacs-w3m best. w3 is nice, too but I think
it's development has stopped.

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough