* gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face
@ 2003-12-10 12:06 Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2003-12-10 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

With the latest CVS, all my "Old" articles (marked with "O") are
displayed with the face above.  This is the same face used for new
articles, which makes them harder to distinguish.

How can I get Gnus to distinguish "Old" and "New" articles again?  I
don't really care about whether they are undownloaded or not, my
connect is fast enough.

* Re: gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face
@ 2003-12-10 13:21 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2003-12-10 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> I don't really care about whether they are undownloaded or not, my
> connect is fast enough.

I found out that there is a new group parameter to disable the
undownloaded faces, and setting it in the top level Topic disabled it
globally.

Shouldn't there be a variable to do the same?  And shouldn't the
change be mentioned in GNUS-NEWS?

* Re: gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face
@ 2003-12-10 14:31   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-12-10 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Dec 10 2003, Per Abrahamsen wrote:

> I found out that there is a new group parameter to disable the
> undownloaded faces, and setting it in the top level Topic disabled it
> globally.
>
> Shouldn't there be a variable to do the same?

Probably.

> And shouldn't the change be mentioned in GNUS-NEWS?

It should be mentioned in GNUS-NEWS, IMHO.  Quite a lot of people
asked about it.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face
@ 2003-12-12 13:27   ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2003-12-12 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:
>
>> I don't really care about whether they are undownloaded or not, my
>> connect is fast enough.
>
> I found out that there is a new group parameter to disable the
> undownloaded faces, and setting it in the top level Topic disabled it
> globally.

I'm sorry to be dense, but what I'm reading here isn't enough to tell
me how to get my old behavior back.  The problem I'm having is that
none of my new undownloaded articles are using any of the
gnus-summary-xxx-undownloaded-faces; they look just like downloaded
articles, except for the "." in the left column.

What should I do?

TIA,
--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

* Re: gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face
@ 2003-12-13  5:20     ` Ivan Boldyrev
From: Ivan Boldyrev @ 2003-12-13  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8590 day of my life David Abrahams wrote:
> I'm sorry to be dense, but what I'm reading here isn't enough to tell
> me how to get my old behavior back.  The problem I'm having is that
> none of my new undownloaded articles are using any of the
> gnus-summary-xxx-undownloaded-faces; they look just like downloaded
> articles, except for the "." in the left column.
>
> What should I do?

If you do not use Gnus Agent (especially if you don't know what Gnus
Agent is :) set gnus-agent to nil:

(setq gnus-agent nil)

or M-x customize-variable gnus-agent

See also message <usmjqppj7.fsf@xpediantsolutions.com> at
nntp://news.gnus.org/gnus-bug.

--
Ivan Boldyrev

                        Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

* Re: gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face
@ 2003-12-13 15:40       ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2003-12-13 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ivan Boldyrev <boldyrev+nospam@cgitftp.uiggm.nsc.ru> writes:

> On 8590 day of my life David Abrahams wrote:
>> I'm sorry to be dense, but what I'm reading here isn't enough to tell
>> me how to get my old behavior back.  The problem I'm having is that
>> none of my new undownloaded articles are using any of the
>> gnus-summary-xxx-undownloaded-faces; they look just like downloaded
>> articles, except for the "." in the left column.
>>
>> What should I do?
>
> If you do not use Gnus Agent (especially if you don't know what Gnus
> Agent is :) set gnus-agent to nil:
>
> (setq gnus-agent nil)
>
> or M-x customize-variable gnus-agent

I do use Gnus Agent.

> See also message <usmjqppj7.fsf@xpediantsolutions.com> at
> nntp://news.gnus.org/gnus-bug.

Sadly, Gnus seems unable to follow either of those links, at least
from my machine.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

* Re: gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face
@ 2003-12-13 18:28         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-12-13 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Dec 13 2003, David Abrahams wrote:

> Ivan Boldyrev <boldyrev+nospam@cgitftp.uiggm.nsc.ru> writes:
[...]
>> See also message <usmjqppj7.fsf@xpediantsolutions.com> at
>> nntp://news.gnus.org/gnus-bug.
>
> Sadly, Gnus seems unable to follow either of those links, at least
> from my machine.

After
  (add-to-list 'gnus-refer-article-method '(nntp "news.gnus.org"))
the first link (MID) should work.

THe second one doesn't work because of the trailing dot.  This should
work: <nntp://news.gnus.org/gnus-bug>.  And this one too, I guess:
<nntp://news.gnus.org/usmjqppj7.fsf@xpediantsolutions.com>.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face
@ 2003-12-14 14:51         ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-12-14 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:

> Ivan Boldyrev <boldyrev+nospam@cgitftp.uiggm.nsc.ru> writes:
>
>> On 8590 day of my life David Abrahams wrote:
>>> I'm sorry to be dense, but what I'm reading here isn't enough to tell
>>> me how to get my old behavior back.  The problem I'm having is that
>>> none of my new undownloaded articles are using any of the
>>> gnus-summary-xxx-undownloaded-faces; they look just like downloaded
>>> articles, except for the "." in the left column.
>>>
>>> What should I do?

Well, the first question should be, do you have the agent enabled for
the particular group that you are viewing?  The absolute certain
answer is to open your summary buffer then evaluate the variable (c-h v)
gnus-newsgroup-agentized.  Its value will be non-nil when the agent is
enabled for this group.

If the agent is enabled, eval the variable
gnus-summary-use-undownloaded-faces while still in the summary buffer.
Let me know what you find and we'll proceed from there.

Kevin

* Re: gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face
@ 2003-12-16 17:02           ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2003-12-16 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

> David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:
>
>> Ivan Boldyrev <boldyrev+nospam@cgitftp.uiggm.nsc.ru> writes:

> Well, the first question should be, do you have the agent enabled for
> the particular group that you are viewing?  The absolute certain
> answer is to open your summary buffer then evaluate the variable (c-h v)
> gnus-newsgroup-agentized.  Its value will be non-nil when the agent is
> enabled for this group.

Apparently I don't, for some strange reason.  Why would that have
changed when I updated my Gnus?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

* Re: gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face
@ 2003-12-16 19:16             ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-12-16 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:

> Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:
>
>> David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:

>> Well, the first question should be, do you have the agent enabled for
>> the particular group that you are viewing?  The absolute certain
>> answer is to open your summary buffer then evaluate the variable (c-h v)
>> gnus-newsgroup-agentized.  Its value will be non-nil when the agent is
>> enabled for this group.
>
> Apparently I don't, for some strange reason.  Why would that have
> changed when I updated my Gnus?

It probably changed because I rewrote the code that keeps track of the
agentized servers.  The old code used a server's method so any change
to your server configuration and a server could be de-agentized.
It's something that people have been complaining about for years.  In
the new code, the agent uses a unique name derived from the method.
The result is that you can make configuration changes without
effecting the agent.  The downside is that the backwards-compatibility
portion of the code isn't as reliable as I had thought.

You should be able to fix your problem by manually adding the server
to the agent.  Doing so will update agent/lib/servers to use the new
server names.

Kevin

* Re: gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face
@ 2003-12-30 20:53           ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2003-12-30 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, I am not the original poster but I would like to include myself to
this thread since I am suffering from the same problems (unread articles
in IMAP and NNTP groups have "wrong" colours).

,----

`----

> If the agent is enabled, eval the variable
> gnus-summary-use-undownloaded-faces while still in the summary buffer.
> Let me know what you find and we'll proceed from there.

,----
| gnus-summary-use-undownloaded-faces's value is t
| Local in buffer *Summary nntp+gmane:gmane.emacs.gnus.general*; global
| value is nil
`----

By the way, I discovered another problem with the new agent code. One
newsgroup I read from my local inn shows 80000 articles in my group
buffer when the agent is enabled. If I disable the agent the correct
number (about 600) is shown.

By the way, I have uploaded two screenshots of the summary buffer:

Agent enabled: http://www.gothgoose.net/straylight/gnus-5.10.3.png
Agent disabled: http://www.gothgoose.net/straylight/gnus-5.10.2.png

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Nur die halbe Welt ist Teflon und Asbest,
der Rest ist brennbar und mitunter

* Re: gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face
@ 2003-12-31  0:58             ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-12-31  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@despammed.com> writes:

> Well, I am not the original poster but I would like to include myself to
> this thread since I am suffering from the same problems (unread articles
> in IMAP and NNTP groups have "wrong" colours).
>
> * Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, the first question should be, do you have the agent enabled for
>> the particular group that you are viewing?  The absolute certain
>> answer is to open your summary buffer then evaluate the variable (c-h v)
>> gnus-newsgroup-agentized.  Its value will be non-nil when the agent is
>> enabled for this group.
>
> ,----
> | gnus-newsgroup-agentized's value is
> | ("nntp:gmane" "nnimap:192.168.0.1")
> |
> | Local in buffer *Summary nntp+gmane:gmane.emacs.gnus.general*; global
> | value is nil
> `----
>
>> If the agent is enabled, eval the variable
>> gnus-summary-use-undownloaded-faces while still in the summary buffer.
>> Let me know what you find and we'll proceed from there.
>
> ,----
> | gnus-summary-use-undownloaded-faces's value is t
> | Local in buffer *Summary nntp+gmane:gmane.emacs.gnus.general*; global
> | value is nil
> `----

Marcus,

This means that the agent is working as designed.  You might want to
consider reading the 'Agent Visuals' section of the manual if you
would like to override the default behavior.

> By the way, I discovered another problem with the new agent code. One
> newsgroup I read from my local inn shows 80000 articles in my group
> buffer when the agent is enabled. If I disable the agent the correct
> number (about 600) is shown.

This isn't a problem.  It just means that at sometime in the distant
past you agentized this group for a short time.  As the server's
active range moved forward these articles became lost and forgotten.
Due to recent bug fix, gnus will now expand the active range to
include all old agentized articles.

Personally, I'd resolve this by using a negative number (perhaps -100)
for the article count when opening the group.  That should result in
the old agentized articles being displayed.  You can then mark them as
read.  Gnus will, upon being started the next time, show the 600
currently active articles.

Kevin

* Re: gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face
@ 2004-01-02 19:21               ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2004-01-02 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> wrote:
> Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@despammed.com> writes:

> This means that the agent is working as designed.  You might want to
> consider reading the 'Agent Visuals' section of the manual if you
> would like to override the default behavior.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the hint! I'll do so and try to change it.

>> By the way, I discovered another problem with the new agent code. One
>> newsgroup I read from my local inn shows 80000 articles in my group
>> buffer when the agent is enabled. If I disable the agent the correct
>> number (about 600) is shown.

> This isn't a problem.  It just means that at sometime in the distant
> past you agentized this group for a short time.  As the server's

Hm, I don't know when and especially why I should have done so but when
you say it must have happened like this I believe you.

> active range moved forward these articles became lost and forgotten.
> Due to recent bug fix, gnus will now expand the active range to
> include all old agentized articles.
> Personally, I'd resolve this by using a negative number (perhaps -100)
> for the article count when opening the group.  That should result in
> the old agentized articles being displayed.  You can then mark them as
> read.  Gnus will, upon being started the next time, show the 600
> currently active articles.

Well, somehow it didn't work. I used "-1000" and also tried "C-u -1000"
and then entered the group and marked all articles as read but after
restarting Gnus the group buffer still says 0/0/82000 (unread/ticked/all
articles). Do you have another idea?

Regards,
Marcus
--
"anger thought so no thought touched inside crazy
(disembodied guttural noise need not make sense)"

* Re: gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face
@ 2004-01-03 16:35                 ` Marcus Frings
                                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Marcus Frings @ 2004-01-03 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just for the archive: I solved both issues.

* Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@despammed.com> wrote:
> * Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> wrote:
>> Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@despammed.com> writes:

>> This means that the agent is working as designed.  You might want to
>> consider reading the 'Agent Visuals' section of the manual if you
>> would like to override the default behavior.

> Ah, okay. Thanks for the hint! I'll do so and try to change it.

I customized my group parameters by setting

("^.*"
  (agent-disable-undownloaded-faces t))

which brings the old behaviour back to my Gnus.

>>> By the way, I discovered another problem with the new agent code. One
>>> newsgroup I read from my local inn shows 80000 articles in my group
>>> buffer when the agent is enabled. If I disable the agent the correct
>>> number (about 600) is shown.

>> Personally, I'd resolve this by using a negative number (perhaps -100)
>> for the article count when opening the group.  That should result in
>> the old agentized articles being displayed.  You can then mark them as
>> read.  Gnus will, upon being started the next time, show the 600
>> currently active articles.

> Well, somehow it didn't work. I used "-1000" and also tried "C-u -1000"
> and then entered the group and marked all articles as read but after
> restarting Gnus the group buffer still says 0/0/82000 (unread/ticked/all
> articles). Do you have another idea?

I deleted the files .agentview and .overview in the corresponding Agent
directory of this certain group. Now my article count in the group
buffer is correct again.

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Look at you, hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and
sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect,

* Re: gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face
@ 2004-01-03 17:51                   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-01-03 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kevin Greiner

On Sat, Jan 03 2004, Marcus Frings wrote:

> Just for the archive: I solved both issues.
>
> * Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@despammed.com> wrote:
>> * Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> wrote:
[ gnus-summary-use-undownloaded-faces ]
>>> This means that the agent is working as designed.  You might want to
>>> consider reading the 'Agent Visuals' section of the manual if you
>>> would like to override the default behavior.
>
>> Ah, okay. Thanks for the hint! I'll do so and try to change it.
>
> I customized my group parameters by setting
>
> ("^.*"
>   (agent-disable-undownloaded-faces t))
>
> which brings the old behaviour back to my Gnus.

Kevin, as this "problem" is already a FAQ, how about adding a short
item to (info "(gnus)Oort Gnus") (and GNUS-NEWS)?  Including a
reference to (info "(gnus)Agent Visuals")?

I don't use the agent myself, so I have no idea what has changed since
5.10.2.  Can anyone else write it, in case Kevin isn't reading now?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face
@ 2004-01-03 18:54                   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-01-03 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@despammed.com> writes:

> I customized my group parameters by setting
>
> ("^.*"
>   (agent-disable-undownloaded-faces t))
>
> which brings the old behaviour back to my Gnus.

I've flipped the logic here (for now).

You now have to set `agent-enable-undownloaded-faces' to get the
downloaded faces.

We can tinker more with this in No Gnus, but for Gnus 5.10, I think
it's best to revert to how Gnus 5.10.2 worked (more or less).

* Re: gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face
@ 2004-01-04  0:01                     ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2004-01-04  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@despammed.com> writes:

>> I customized my group parameters by setting

>> ("^.*"
>>   (agent-disable-undownloaded-faces t))

>> which brings the old behaviour back to my Gnus.

> I've flipped the logic here (for now).
> You now have to set `agent-enable-undownloaded-faces' to get the
> downloaded faces.

Yes, I noticed this some minutes ago when I saw your change in
g.e.g.commits but thanks anyway for telling me!

> We can tinker more with this in No Gnus, but for Gnus 5.10, I think
> it's best to revert to how Gnus 5.10.2 worked (more or less).

Yes, I agree. The last changes in the agent-code have caused a lot of
confusion as you can read here and in other groups.

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Ich, der Engel, töte vor den Augen der Mutter das erstgeborene Kind. Ich
verwandle die Städte der Menschen in Salz und wenn ich will, breche ich die

* Re: gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face
@ 2004-01-08  0:43                     ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2004-01-08  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@despammed.com> writes:
>
>> I customized my group parameters by setting
>>
>> ("^.*"
>>   (agent-disable-undownloaded-faces t))
>>
>> which brings the old behaviour back to my Gnus.
>
> I've flipped the logic here (for now).
>
> You now have to set `agent-enable-undownloaded-faces' to get the
> downloaded faces.
>
> We can tinker more with this in No Gnus, but for Gnus 5.10, I think
> it's best to revert to how Gnus 5.10.2 worked (more or less).

Now that it's part of 5.10, it is probably best to keep the parameter
as agent-enable-undownloaded-faces.  The only real problem may be the
fact that the manual still reads agent-disable-undownloaded-faces.
I'll work on that now that I'm online again.

Kevin

* Re: gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face
@ 2004-01-08  0:47                   ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2004-01-08  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@despammed.com> writes:

>> Well, somehow it didn't work. I used "-1000" and also tried "C-u -1000"
>> and then entered the group and marked all articles as read but after
>> restarting Gnus the group buffer still says 0/0/82000 (unread/ticked/all
>> articles). Do you have another idea?

Sorry, I took some time away from technology just before everything
hit the fan.

> I deleted the files .agentview and .overview in the corresponding Agent
> directory of this certain group. Now my article count in the group
> buffer is correct again.

Good. That works too.  I'm presently reworking the offending logic to
improve performance.  Hopefully it will have the side-effect of also
fixing this bug.

Kevin

* Re: gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face
@ 2004-01-10 21:41                     ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2004-01-10 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> wrote:
> Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@despammed.com> writes:

> Sorry, I took some time away from technology just before everything
> hit the fan.

LOL!

>> I deleted the files .agentview and .overview in the corresponding Agent
>> directory of this certain group. Now my article count in the group
>> buffer is correct again.

> Good. That works too.  I'm presently reworking the offending logic to
> improve performance.  Hopefully it will have the side-effect of also
> fixing this bug.

Well, as I am running No Gnus now and Larsi changed the code everything
is working fine currently. Agent code is enabled again, the faces got
their old colours and the article count is correct as well.

On the other hand I am trying to track down another mysterious bug which
shatters my nerves since one week. I haven't found out why it happens
but at least I was able to discover where and when it occurs (or not).

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help!

Regards,
Marcus
--