* nnvirtual: M-x <number> gnus-topic-select-group
@ 2000-11-17 10:10 Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2000-11-17 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

What is the algorithm used when fetching n Articles from a nnvirtual
group? I am wondering about this. How many articles are fetched from
each group and which ones? Is it possible to fetch the last n articles
from the matching groups, so that all articles are chronologically
sorted, regardless of the group?

i. A.
Christoph Conrad
--
CLI-GmbH,  Matthiashofstr. 28-30,  D-52064 Aachen
Fon: +49 241 47051-0  Fax: +49 241 47051-89 Web: http://www.cli.de

* Re: nnvirtual: M-x <number> gnus-topic-select-group
@ 2000-11-18 15:00 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-11-18 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christoph Conrad <C.Conrad@cli.de> writes:

> What is the algorithm used when fetching n Articles from a nnvirtual
> group? I am wondering about this. How many articles are fetched from
> each group and which ones? Is it possible to fetch the last n articles
> from the matching groups, so that all articles are chronologically
> sorted, regardless of the group?

A nnvirtual group contains all active articles from component groups.

,----
| Convert component -> virtual:
| set num = num - Offset(group)
| find first row in Mapping where num <= 'a'
| num = (num-'b')*c + Position(group) + 'e'
`----

Convert virtual -> component:
find first row in Mapping where num <= 'd'
num = num - 'e'
group_pos = num mod 'c'
num = (num / 'c') + 'b' + Offset(group_pos)

ShengHuo

* Re: nnvirtual: M-x <number> gnus-topic-select-group
@ 2000-11-18 15:10   ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-11-18 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Accidently typed C-c C-c.]

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Christoph Conrad <C.Conrad@cli.de> writes:
>
> > What is the algorithm used when fetching n Articles from a nnvirtual
> > group? I am wondering about this. How many articles are fetched from
> > each group and which ones? Is it possible to fetch the last n articles
> > from the matching groups, so that all articles are chronologically
> > sorted, regardless of the group?
>
> A nnvirtual group contains all active articles from component groups.
>
> ,----
> | Convert component -> virtual:
> | set num = num - Offset(group)
> | find first row in Mapping where num <= 'a'
> | num = (num-'b')*c + Position(group) + 'e'
> `----
>
> Convert virtual -> component:
> find first row in Mapping where num <= 'd'
> num = num - 'e'
> group_pos = num mod 'c'
> num = (num / 'c') + 'b' + Offset(group_pos)

In another word, the articles from the same component group are listed
together.  Only the active numbers are used and no date info is
available when generating a nnvirtual group map, so the chronological
sort is not possible with the current scheme.

ShengHuo