* is it faster? :)
@ 1999-07-21  9:13 Maciej Matysiak
From: Maciej Matysiak @ 1999-07-21  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello,

i've just upgraded from pgnus 0.80 to 0.95 and noticed that everything
works faster. checking mail, actions, everything. is it possible or is
it just mine imagination? :)

or can it be just because i restarted xemacs after 32 days uptime and
it doesn't take so much memory and stuff on my poor box (p120/64mb)?

somehow happier,
 m.m.
--
 use gnus not guns!

* Re: is it faster? :)
@ 1999-07-21  9:45 ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 1999-07-21  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maciej Matysiak <phoner@blah.pl> writes:

> or can it be just because i restarted xemacs after 32 days uptime and it
> doesn't take so much memory and stuff on my poor box (p120/64mb)?

I generally find that emacs's memory footprint continually increases until
I restart it (albeit slowly), and that it starts getting noticeably slower
as the memory footprint gets larger, even if the system isn't swapping.

I usually exit out and restart every few days because of this.  I don't
think it's necessarily a leak; it's just that over that period of time I
end up doing something or other that uses a whole bunch of memory.

--
Russ Allbery (rra@stanford.edu)         <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

* Re: is it faster? :)
@ 1999-07-22 22:06 ` Anil B. Somayaji
From: Anil B. Somayaji @ 1999-07-22 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: is it faster? :)
@ 1999-08-27 21:17   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-08-27 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

> I usually exit out and restart every few days because of this.  I don't
> think it's necessarily a leak; it's just that over that period of time I
> end up doing something or other that uses a whole bunch of memory.

Jabuht -- sometimes an Emacs containing Gnus grows to, like, 60GB,
which has to be a bug somewhere.  In Gnus, most likely.