* gnus-refer-article-method containing gmane doesn't work
@ 2002-10-05 21:47 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-05 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have this setting:

(setq gnus-refer-article-method
      '(current
        (nnweb "gmane" (nnweb-type gmane))
	(nnweb "google" (nnweb-type google))))

Hitting `^' on a group (actually from the gmane server...) produces
the following article buffer:

/----

|     Gmane -- GNU Mail To News And Back Again

|   Subscribe
|   Features
|   Posting
|   Reading
|   About
|   Spam
|   Hosting
|   Feeds
|   Lists
|   Download
|   Filtering
|   Statistics
|   Links
|

| No query

\----

What's the story?  Did I do something wrong?

kai

* Re: gnus-refer-article-method containing gmane doesn't work
@ 2002-10-08 13:53 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-10-08 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Oct 05 2002, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> (setq gnus-refer-article-method
>       '(current
>         (nnweb "gmane" (nnweb-type gmane))
> 	(nnweb "google" (nnweb-type google))))
>
> Hitting `^' on a group (actually from the gmane server...) produces
> the following article buffer:
[...]
> |     Gmane -- GNU Mail To News And Back Again
[...]
> |   Hosting
> |   Feeds
> |   Lists
> |   Download
> |   Filtering
> |   Statistics
> |   Links
[...]
> What's the story?  Did I do something wrong?

Seems that `(nnweb-type gmane)' is b0rked. `gnus-group-make-web-group'
doesn't work either:

,----[ G w gmane RET Steib RET ]
|  . [0.0k: nobody              ] () Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen</a> -->
|  . [0.0k: nobody              ] () Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen</a>.
|  . [0.0k: nobody              ] () gmane.discuss</a>
|  . [0.0k: nobody              ] () imported</a> into Gmane.
| [...]
|  . [0.0k: nobody              ] () Hosting</a><br>
|  . [0.0k: nobody              ] () Spam</a><br>
|  . [0.0k: nobody              ] () About</a><br>
|  . [0.0k: nobody              ] () Reading</a><br>
|  . [0.0k: nobody              ] () Posting</a><br>
|  . [0.0k: nobody              ] () Features</a><br>
|  . [0.0k: nobody              ] () Subscribe</a><br>
|  . [0.0k: nobody              ] () Home</a><br>
|  . [0.0k: nobody              ] ()
`----

Did ever work correctly? I recall that adding a search interface for
Gmane is still on the Larsi's ToDo list but not in production yet.
Concerning `gnus-refer-article-method':

AFAIK, it's possible to view articles referenced by ...

- group _and_ number:

- group _and_ MID:

But not by MID alone (without group).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gnus-refer-article-method containing gmane doesn't work
@ 2002-10-10  8:02   ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2002-10-10  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net> writes:

> Did ever work correctly?

Probably not. I put this together rather quickly a while
back, but got no feedback after the code got in CVS, so I
never bothered to make everything work perfectly.

A major problem is that Gmane's search results contain far
too little information to be completely useful, but I'm sure
the existing nnweb.el can be better than today.

>  I recall that adding a search interface for Gmane is
>  still on the Larsi's ToDo list but not in production yet.

Suggestions anyone? Maybe we should just wait for this to be
completed before doing any more work on nnweb and gmane? Is
there anything we can do to help Lars get this in place
faster?

Niklas

* Re: gnus-refer-article-method containing gmane doesn't work
@ 2002-10-10  9:09   ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2002-10-10  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net> writes:

> Seems that `(nnweb-type gmane)' is b0rked.
> `gnus-group-make-web-group' doesn't work either:

[...]

> Did ever work correctly?

To add some information to my previous post: it certainly
worked better than it does now. It was possible to search
for articles and have them displayed with `G w gmane ...'.

Now I can't even find the search function on gmane.org. Is
it still there? [Searching some more...] Hm. There is
something on:

http://gmane.org/search.php

but I can't get it to work...

Niklas

* Re: gnus-refer-article-method containing gmane doesn't work
@ 2002-10-14 15:30     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-10-14 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 10 2002, Niklas Morberg wrote:

[search interface for Gmane]

> Is there anything we can do to help Lars get this in place faster?

Dunno (You may ask on gmane.discuss). Seems that he's still looking
for a suitable search engine:

,----[ http://article.gmane.org/gmane.discuss/1861 ]
| Subject: Search engines
| From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi <at> gnus.org>
| Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 21:53:18 +0200
| Newsgroups: gmane.discuss
|
| Does anybody have any experience with ASPseek?

| I really want to get a search engine on Gmane, but it needs these
| features:
|
|   1) be reasonably fast
|   2) be able to index incrementally in an efficient fashion
|   3) give good, ranked results
|   4) be able to index RFC822-like documents
|
| ASPseek claims to do 3), but I'm not sure about the other points...
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gnus-refer-article-method containing gmane doesn't work
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-10-14 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net> writes:

> Dunno (You may ask on gmane.discuss). Seems that he's still looking
> for a suitable search engine:

I am -- still haven't found anything.

(Gee.  That Gmane thing turned out to be more work than I had counted
on.  :-/)

* Re: gnus-refer-article-method containing gmane doesn't work
@ 2002-12-29 15:07 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-12-29 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (setq gnus-refer-article-method
>       '(current
>         (nnweb "gmane" (nnweb-type gmane))
> 	(nnweb "google" (nnweb-type google))))
>
> Hitting `^' on a group (actually from the gmane server...) produces
> the following article buffer:

[...]

> What's the story?  Did I do something wrong?

Gmane is now using a new search engine (written by, er, me), but will
switch to yet another search engine, Xapian.  The nnweb search
interface to Gmane can probably wait until Xapian has been
implemented...

* Re: gnus-refer-article-method containing gmane doesn't work
@ 2003-04-01 16:07     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-04-01 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 10 2002, Niklas Morberg wrote:
        ^^^^^^^^^^^ --> More quoting than usual.

[ nnweb.el and Gmane ]
> I put this together rather quickly a while back, but got no feedback
> after the code got in CVS, so I never bothered to make everything
> work perfectly.
>
> A major problem is that Gmane's search results contain far too
> little information to be completely useful, but I'm sure the
> existing nnweb.el can be better than today.

In case you don't know: You can add "/raw" to article URLs like
"http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/51136" to get the
raw message.

> Suggestions anyone? Maybe we should just wait for this to be
> completed before doing any more work on nnweb and gmane? Is there
> anything we can do to help Lars get this in place faster?

The search interface[1] on Gmane is up and working now.  Would you
like to update `nnweb.el', Niklas?

Bye, Reiner.

[1] <URL: http://search.gmane.org/search.php>
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gnus-refer-article-method containing gmane doesn't work
@ 2003-04-03  7:10       ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2003-04-03  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> The search interface[1] on Gmane is up and working now.  Would you
> like to update `nnweb.el', Niklas?

I would like to, but unfortunately I won't be able to spend
time on it in the foreseeable future.

Sorry.

Niklas