From: Joe Casadonte <jcasadonte@northbound-train.com>
Cc: ding-list <ding@gnus.org>
Subject: Re: nnimap - not quite there yet?
Date: 09 Aug 2001 15:56:39 -0400	[thread overview]

On Thu, 09 Aug 2001, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> Joe Casadonte <jcasadonte@northbound-train.com> writes:
>> 1) Despite everything I've tried, mostly with levels, I cannot
>>    avoid having all accounts logged into at Gnus startup.  I only
>>    want two or three accounts checked, and I'll check the others
>>    once every couple of days.  Perhaps I need to define the virtual
>>    servers but make them inactive somehow, and then manually
>>    activate them from the server buffer?  Aside from not knowing
>>    how to do that off-hand, it seems a bit of a PITA.
>
> Hm.  I've got a foreign nntp server that I'm not checking, and that
> works.  Maybe Gnus is trying to look for new groups on the nnimap
> servers?  You could try to make them foreign servers, rather than
> secondary.

I can't seem to get this to work.  How do I specify the .authinfo file
to use on a foreign server?  I can do this with the secondary server
definition.  Is there such a thing as Server Parameters (analogous to
Group Parameters)?  I couldn't find anything in the info file.

> A foreign server can be created via the server buffer, accessible
> via ^ from the Group buffer.  Secondary servers are secondary
> because they're listed in gnus-secondary-select-methods.

What is the real difference between a foreign & secondary server?
Just how you define it?  And maybe the fact that foreign
servers/groups are not checked until explicitly asked?

>> 2) Again, despite attempts to change the behavior (mostly with
>>    levels) I cannot avoid having nnimap check every folder when I
>>    do a gnus-group-get-new-news.  The folders don't /activate/,
>>    mind you, but I have to sit thru every one of them being
>>    checked.
>
> Did you kill the unwanted groups (with C-k)?

That removed it entirely :(

I just want to have it not be activated until I ask for a certain
level to be activated.  With nntp, I can have a group at a certain
level, say 3, and not have it be queried or even listed, until I asked
for it specifically.

Example: I added an nntp group and set the level to 3.  My
gnus-activate-level is set to 1.  When I run gnus-group-get-new-news
this new group does not get queried.  That's what I'd like to have
happen with my lower-level IMAP folders.

> Despite them thingies being listed in M-x list-processes RET,
> they're just network connections.  No extra process needed for them.
> (Unless you connect to them via a shell command.)

Bingo!  I connect thru an SSH port forwarding tunnel.

> Doing what you want would require a serious rewrite of the
> infrastructure.

I would imagine so :(

>> 4) As has been mentioned elsewhere in recent threads, nnimap (and
>>    all of Gnus for that matter) is not terribly fault tolerant.  If
>>    a server connection goes down, the connection needs to be
>>    severed manually before it can be reconnected.  Again, this is
>>    more of a general Gnus issue, I think, but nnimap seems a bit
>>    more stubborn then nntp.
>
> Believe it or not, I never have those problems.  When the connection
> goes down for some reason, Gnus brings it back up.  Other than a
> slight delay, I don't notice anything.
>
> Do you use a shell command to access your IMAP servers (ssh, say)?
> That might be more problematic.

Bingo again.  So, not knowing enough about SSH, this is more an SSH
issue then a Gnus/nnimap issue?

Thanks for the help so far!

--
Regards,