* article buffer still exists
@ 2001-06-04 20:22 Frank Haun
From: Frank Haun @ 2001-06-04 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Oort Gnus v0.04 gnus-CURRENT-20010519.tar.gz
GNU Emacs 20.7.1 (i386-*-nt5.0.2195)

I read some news then after reading (`q' or `c' in the summary buffer) I
stay in the group buffer. I noticed that there is still an *Article*
buffer. Hmm I don't like this, bug or feature?

The *Article* buffer vanished with exiting gnus.

Frank
--
  (error "Couldn't find doc group")

* Re: article buffer still exists
@ 2001-06-04 20:45 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-06-04 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Why is it bad that the Article buffer still exists after using `q'
to exit a Summary buffer?  At times, I was happy it still existed.
Maybe you want `z' from the Group buffer to suspend Gnus?  (Though I'm
not really sure what that does.  But maybe it makes most of the
Gnus buffers go away.)

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: article buffer still exists
@ 2001-06-04 21:58 ` Francisco Solsona
From: Francisco Solsona @ 2001-06-04 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Haun <pille3000@gmx.net> writes:

> I read some news then after reading (`q' or `c' in the summary buffer) I
> stay in the group buffer. I noticed that there is still an *Article*
> buffer. Hmm I don't like this, bug or feature?

I'm not sure, but I don't like it either, so I use the following:

(add-hook 'gnus-exit-group-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (kill-buffer-safe gnus-article-buffer)))

hth,
Francisco
--
I got real close to seeing Elvis but my shovel broke.
(contributed by Frank v Waveren)

* Re: article buffer still exists
@ 2001-06-05 15:15   ` Frank Haun
From: Frank Haun @ 2001-06-05 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Why is it bad that the Article buffer still exists after using `q'
> to exit a Summary buffer?

Hmm, I was confused about that.

Frank
--

@ 2001-06-05 15:20   ` Frank Haun
From: Frank Haun @ 2001-06-05 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Francisco Solsona <flsc@hp.fciencias.unam.mx> writes:

> > I read some news then after reading (`q' or `c' in the summary buffer) I
> > stay in the group buffer. I noticed that there is still an *Article*
> > buffer. Hmm I don't like this, bug or feature?
>
> I'm not sure, but I don't like it either, so I use the following:
>
> (add-hook 'gnus-exit-group-hook
> 	  (lambda ()
> 	    (kill-buffer-safe gnus-article-buffer)))

I get with GNU Emacs 20.7.1:
Symbol's function definition is void: kill-buffer-safe

Frank
--

@ 2001-06-05 19:00     ` Francisco Solsona
From: Francisco Solsona @ 2001-06-05 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Haun <pille3000@gmx.net> writes:

[...]

>> (add-hook 'gnus-exit-group-hook
>> 	  (lambda ()
>> 	    (kill-buffer-safe gnus-article-buffer)))
>
> I get with GNU Emacs 20.7.1:
> Symbol's function definition is void: kill-buffer-safe

Oops sorry, this should be one of those only XEmacs functions:

,---------- Function: kill-buffer-safe ----------
| `kill-buffer-safe' is a Lisp function
|   -- loaded from "tinylibm"
| (kill-buffer-safe BUFFER)
|
| Documentation:
| Do `kill-buffer' only if BUFFER exists. Does not signal any error.
| Return:
|   t             killed
|   nil           no such buffer
`--------------------

`kill-buffer' should do the trick, and should exist in Emacs, I cannot
corroborate that at the moment, though.

Francisco

* Re: article buffer still exists
@ 2001-06-06 14:55       ` Frank Haun
From: Frank Haun @ 2001-06-06 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Francisco Solsona <flsc@hp.fciencias.unam.mx> writes:

[(emacs) killing article buffer when exiting summary]

> `kill-buffer' should do the trick, and should exist in Emacs, I cannot
> corroborate that at the moment, though.

Thank you, yes `kill-buffer' exist in emacs. But I've to verify if a
buffer article exist. I think I can do it with an `if' statement.

At the moment I'm learning lisp, but a pointer would help me. :-)

Frank
--

@ 2001-06-06 20:51         ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2001-06-06 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Haun <pille3000@gmx.net> writes:

> Thank you, yes `kill-buffer' exist in emacs. But I've to verify if a
> buffer article exist. I think I can do it with an `if' statement.

> At the moment I'm learning lisp, but a pointer would help me. :-)

:)

try something like

(when (get-buffer artbuf)
      (kill-buffer artbuf))

--
Josh Huber

* Re: article buffer still exists
@ 2001-06-06 22:37           ` Frank Haun
From: Frank Haun @ 2001-06-06 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

[(emacs) killing article buffer when exiting summary]

> try something like
>
> (when (get-buffer artbuf)
>       (kill-buffer artbuf))

Thanks and done:
(add-hook 'gnus-exit-group-hook
 		  (lambda ()
 			(when (get-buffer gnus-article-buffer)
 				(kill-buffer gnus-article-buffer))))

But after some tests I think it's better to live with a permanent
article buffer. While reading in a group I often browse other groups.
Exiting other groups make my current article buffer vanish.

Thanks to all, Frank
--

@ 2001-06-07 10:38             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-06-07 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07 Jun 2001, Frank Haun wrote:

> But after some tests I think it's better to live with a permanent
> article buffer. While reading in a group I often browse other
> groups.  Exiting other groups make my current article buffer vanish.

I use `Z z' for quick exiting of groups:

(define-key gnus-summary-exit-map "z" 'kai-gnus-summary-exit-group-quickly)

(defun kai-gnus-summary-exit-group-quickly ()
  (interactive)
  (switch-to-buffer gnus-group-buffer)
  (delete-other-windows))

You might need a (require 'gnus-sum) before this.

kai
--

@ 2001-06-07 15:44               ` Frank Haun
From: Frank Haun @ 2001-06-07 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > But after some tests I think it's better to live with a permanent
> > article buffer. While reading in a group I often browse other
> > groups.  Exiting other groups make my current article buffer vanish.
>
> I use `Z z' for quick exiting of groups:

[code]

Thanks Kai, thats a fast way to return to the summary. It's like a `q'
without killing the summary buffer. When browsing ten groups I get ten
summary buffers, puh. :-)

[some times later]

Hm, I played with `Z z'. It's really a fast method to do something in
_visited_ summary buffers. I think sometimes I'll use it.

Frank
--
  (error "Couldn't find doc group")