* No such coding system: koi8-r - WTF does it mean?
@ 1999-11-27  3:38 Dmitry Yaitskov
From: Dmitry Yaitskov @ 1999-11-27  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am trying to read some Russian ngs w/pgnus 0.98 and miserably
failing (the prob is not new btw - same thing happened when I tried it
some 4-6 versions ago, and eventually quit then).

The problem shows itself when I try to open any ng from the fido7.*
hierarchy. I get message from gnus saying:

Strange nov line (1)

and the next thing I know, I am still in the group buffer, but the
group I tried to open shows zero new messages.

I found that message in gnus-sum.el, looked at the code and saw a
variable mentioned that seemed kind of related - gnus-nov-is-evil.
After setting it to t, the message changed - still without much
success though. Now the message says:

No such coding system: koi8-r

and the number of new messages is not reset to zero, but gnus still
does not show me the group.

I did try to RTFM but could not find anything relevant.

I am using gnus under XEmacs 21.2 beta20, NT 4. I do *not* have Mule
and do not want to install it. I can send/read Russian mail (in both
coding systems) without any problems. The only problem seems to be
with entering Russian ngs.

Any ideas??? Thanks.

--
Cheers,
-Dima.

* Re: No such coding system: koi8-r - WTF does it mean?
@ 1999-11-27  6:54 ` Dmitry Yaitskov
From: Dmitry Yaitskov @ 1999-11-27  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I kind of fixed the problem, still I would like to know what is
supposed to happen and where it is documented...

The problem was with the gnus-group-charset-alist which had among
others the following setting (default if I understand correctly):

("^fido7\\>" koi8-r)

so that made it look for koi8-r charset (whatever that means), and as
it failed gnus chose to not display anything at all... seems wrong to
me somehow, but maybe I'm missing somethig.

Removing the above line from alist fixed things.

--
Cheers,
-Dima.