From: dubach1@husc.harvard.edu (Joev Dubach)
Cc: ding@ifi.uio.no
Subject: Re: Slight shirt delay
Date: 25 Oct 1996 10:50:38 -0400	[thread overview]

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> I think I'll take 2 for myself, or should I take 3?  Which gives us 40
> shirts, which is twice as many as I had imagined, and which means that
> I make lots and lots and lots of money.  (Well, not quite, but I
> didn't mean to make any money whatsoever off of this; I just wanted a
> shirt or two.  :-)  Feels all wrong.)

Well, if it feels too all wrong, you could always put the cash
difference between "okay" and "all wrong" in the shirt packages.  :)
I think I have a better idea below, though.

> Anyways -- at 50 shirts, the price per shirt falls off 20 NOK, which
> means that 45 shirts costs as much as 50 shirts.  So, uhm, should I
> print 50 shirts instead?  Printing the final 10 shirts will add NOK400
> to the total price, which is a piffling NOK40 (USD6) per shirt.  And I
> could just keep them all myself.  :-)  Or flog them off on the black
> market.  Well, if I do print the last 10 shirts, I can't charge less
> than what y'all have paid for your copies; that would be unfair.  So
> I'm all bewildered as to what to do.  I'll never become a proper
> money-grubbing capitalist by vacillitating like this...  Drats!

Here's what you do: Print fifty shirts, and offer the unappropriated
ones on gnu.emacs.gnus as a special limited offer for those not on
ding-list but who want a piece of history anyway.  Same price, all
black (since that's apparently the most popular color) and mainly (or
maybe even all) XL, depending on the size distribution experienced so
far.

Then, put all the money from this second offering aside, and use it to
subsidize the next ding-list Gnus merchandise offer.

> Perhaps I should just print 40 shirts anyway.  Makes life much
> simpler.

The last ten are so cheap, how can you not print them?  What a
bargain!  :)

I suppose all this hypothesizing might be obviated by late orders
anyway.

Joev                          <URL:"http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dubach1/">

  "There may be trouble ahead, but while there's moonlight, and music,
   and love, and romance, let's face the music and dance."
          -- Irving Berlin